Diesel Place banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A second after I stop I get a clunk in the rearend it does it everytime I stop.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry I knew I shoulda put more
so anyway its a c/c, long box, and no it does not do it on take off at least not that I notice. Also its not an audiable clunk, its an I can feel clunk kinda like the rear end falling.

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
Hmmmmm. It sounds like the rear springs might be loading up then unloading in a 'clunk' when you stop. You should have the two piece driveshaft with that combo, check to make sure that the slip joint in the center is properly greased, if its sticking here, it could contribute to a clunk. Is it something that has developed or been there all along?

Eric

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Im not sure how long its been there I bought the truck used. I did not notice it when I got it, But I was pretty excited to just be getting it, and just might have missed it. I really didnt notice it till about two weeks or so after I got it. I pulled up to a stop light on the way to work and felt it so I let off the break and rolled forward a little and stopped and it did it again so I reapeted the process and it did it again. I do actually have to pay attention to fell it.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Eric,

I also have the "clunk" but my :clunk is on take off. 2001 ext cab long bed. After reading your response I looked for the grease fitting for the slip joint only to find it is covered by a boot. There does not seem to be any provision for grease.

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
Rana, I thought about that too, your right. If you have two piece driveshaft, its possible that some of the angles are incorrect..

·
Registered
21 Posts
cwolfe,

My '03 does it also; started at about 5,000 miles. The dealer says it is rear spring wind-up. They wedged a wooden block between the overload spring and the regular springs and it took it out. No - the block is still not in there, it would have worn out quickly. I cannot get GM to do anything about it. HELP from anyone is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Mine did the same thing thoughout the break-in period (10,000 mi), hadn't heard it in a long time. Really forgot about it until I read this post. If my memory serve me right, it seemed to hapen the most when the tranny was not up to operating temperature. I'm over 19K now and don't have the "clunk" anymore. If that doesn't help, turn the radio up......

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Peculiar, Mo Im from Grandview originaly funny. Ive gotten good at ignoring it in the past couple of days. I dont understand why it would go away over time if it was the spring. Does the spring force increase over time also, Kinda like the motor. Man the whole truck just keeps getting better over time thats awsome.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
cwolfe, Try cleaning and greasing the drive shaft splines. It worked for me . Later! Frank

1 - 11 of 11 Posts