Diesel Place banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody. New to forum and searched for an answer but came up with no luck. I have a 94 3500 6.5 with 150k miles that is new to me. When I first bought the truck it was difficult to crank. Sounded like a dead battery sometimes. Maybe 3 or 4 times and she’d start. So I figure let’s check batteries alt and starter. All good. Let’s check grounds. All good. Well crap. Glad they’re good but what is the problem?? Ah! Let’s upgrade the battery cables. So I went 2/0 cables and #4 for alt wire. Still clicks like a dead battery sometimes. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

·
Registered
314 Posts
Agreed on the solenoid. Next time it happens have someone hold the key in the start position while some whacks the starter with a hammer. I bet it cranks right up.

·
Registered
1995 GMC Suburban
17,725 Posts
I don't think you need to whack the starter. LOL!!!

Just tap it with the handle of a breaker bar.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks folks. Was thinking it was the starter from the beginning but it checked out good. Guess the starter could pass but solenoid on it could still be bad. Guess this is gonna push back one of the upgrades I want to do.

·
Registered
1995 GMC Suburban
17,725 Posts
Thanks folks. Was thinking it was the starter from the beginning but it checked out good. Guess the starter could pass but solenoid on it could still be bad. Guess this is gonna push back one of the upgrades I want to do.
There is a speed that a starter needs to be at.
It can still retract but is it fast enough and is it still reliable.
A weak starter is slower and become intermittent.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Called everywhere local today. No starter but there is place that rebuilds starters alternators etc. not sure what it'll cost but for a 94 with a dang F in the vin number parts seem to be higher than other years. No idea why.

·
Administrator
15,677 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Appreciate that OK. Local guy gonna gonna have one Friday. $5 more than rock auto for a new one but don't have to wait a week. While I was under there, it looks like somebody took a sledge and whooped the you know what outta that downpipe.

·
Administrator
15,677 Posts
Appreciate that OK. Local guy gonna gonna have one Friday. $5 more than rock auto for a new one but don't have to wait a week. While I was under there, it looks like somebody took a sledge and whooped the you know what outta that downpipe.
That would be the stock GM downpipe that is very restrictive.
Upgrading to a DiamondEye 4 inch, Turbo back exhaust will help that motor greatly..

·
Registered
1995 GMC Suburban
17,725 Posts
Starter should be the same since 93.

If you have a rebuilder in the area, that is a good option.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Don’t lose that extra starter support bracket....or get one quick if it’s missing!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Next item to be installed is the 4' from Leroy. Then a hx35 and a boost gauge. Then a carter lift pump. Pmd relocate is on the way now. Should get it in the mail today or tomorrow. Some folks are saying mount it behind bumper and others are saying on drivers fender well to keep out of the elements. Right now the waste gate is wired shut so I haven't been driving it. Not sure what kind of boost it's pushing so I don't wanna mess it up.
I do have a rebuilder in the next town. Taking it to him in the morning. Said it shouldn't be too bad to rebuild this one.
I do have that bracket. It was bolted to the starter but not to the block. I'll have to find a bolt that fits.

·
Super Moderator Eco-Logistical
4,271 Posts
Take out the right front license plate bolt, and slide the included mount bolt through, into the heat sinc...

But BE SURE you have put silicone electrical sealant around the cable connection to the pmd.
Other than the plug, the elements wont bother the pmd.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Grab a screw driver with a rubber handle, turn on your key just like your about to crank it to start. Go to the passenger side front wheel well. Reach through and jump the starter with the screw driver. If it fires then the small (purple) on the starter coming from the key isn’t getting enough voltage through to the solenoid. 2 things I’ve seen done is
A:install a inline starter relay from a early 90s ford. This engine doesn’t have a starter relay.
B:wire a push button starter switch.

I have done both. Mine is set up push with a in line fuse. Fires every time. Rain sleet snow heat

·
Registered
67 Posts
Hello everybody. New to forum and searched for an answer but came up with no luck. I have a 94 3500 6.5 with 150k miles that is new to me. When I first bought the truck it was difficult to crank. Sounded like a dead battery sometimes. Maybe 3 or 4 times and she’d start. So I figure let’s check batteries alt and starter. All good. Let’s check grounds. All good. Well crap. Glad they’re good but what is the problem?? Ah! Let’s upgrade the battery cables. So I went 2/0 cables and #4 for alt wire. Still clicks like a dead battery sometimes. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
That often happens to my 6.2, usually when it is hot, it was always worn out brushes, but a wack to the starter would move the brushes enough to get it to start.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well after the rebuilder told me his price I decided to go with a new starter. Installed it this morning and been running some errands. So far no problem. Thank ya all for your responses.

·
Super Moderator Eco-Logistical
4,271 Posts
New acdelco starter, quality batteries and cables, and good glow plugs, these motors start instantly.

Any part not great above, and this truck EATS starters...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts