Diesel Place banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is a constant clicking noise that almost sounds like it could be at the bottom of the engine while idling.When you increase the RPM's the noise increases. A few weeks ago it wasn't constant that I know of.Does anyone know if this is normal.It has been to the dealer twice and they say it sounds normal.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Typewriter type ticking is normal, only hear at idle or after idleing for a minute or two.
There are posts here somewhere related to this.

·
Registered
120 Posts
If the typewriter clicking sound is irregular, like somebody randomly playing with a manual typewriter, it is normal. There is a GM service advisory on it.

If it is a tapping sound, similar to a bad exhaust valve, a hole in the muffler or a flaw in the serpentine belt, it is also normal, although I have not seen anything official from GM. It is characteristic sound from many diesels.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I made a post a few weeks ago about something like this.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the responses. It helps when everyone said the same. I can relax now.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
i just got back from the snow. there was 15-16 inches on the ground and my truck was parked in it. all i could hear while it was running was the ticking. absolutely no other noise from the engine compartment. it was weird. these engines are way to quiet.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I'm surprised you didn't get "thats the sound of hp" answer.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts