Diesel Place banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been having this issue for a while now, this is what I have done so far;

thought it was batteries so I bought 2 new AC Delco batteries rated for my truck last year. All was good for a while and then started acting up again, took the truck to a GM dealer and after diagnostic they said it was the starter, so they replaced it about a month ago. Out shopping a couple of days ago the same thing happened, click but no start, got a boost and it started, went to the garage and had the batteries tested and all is good. I have checked the cables including the junction box on the fire wall and all seem fine (no corrosion). I have tested the alternator with my volt meter(14.6 volts when running).

This is still going on and what I have found so far is when it clicks I can boost it from the passenger side battery and it will start right away, I have also discovered that when it clicks I can disconnect the drivers side battery it will start right away by using the passenger side battery. I can start the engine with the passenger side battery but can not start the truck with the drivers side battery which is a new battery. There seems to be no pattern as to when this happens, it can happen after a long drive or sitting for a few hours.

·
Administrator
16,013 Posts
Start by going through all of your battery connections and grounds.
Make sure they are all clean and tight. Look for any worn wire insulation, chaffing, corrosion, broken wires, etc..
Cable corrosion can happen within the wire insulation

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
Maybe a wiring diagram is what you need. See attached. One problem with these diagrams is that they're logical, meaning the connections and functions are shown, but it does not tell you where to look in the truck for the specific appliances. No physical layout.

I gsuggest you go to GMUPTITTER.COM,. look in the body builder manuals, your year/model and look specifically for the Electrical Manual. I am sure there is one for the 2008 models.

Attachments

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Maybe a wiring diagram is what you need. See attached. One problem with these diagrams is that they're logical, meaning the connections and functions are shown, but it does not tell you where to look in the truck for the specific appliances. No physical layout.

I gsuggest you go to GMUPTITTER.COM,. look in the body builder manuals, your year/model and look specifically for the Electrical Manual. I am sure there is one for the 2008 models.
Thanks for the PDF's, much appreciated.

·
Registered
16,213 Posts
Hope you get it fixed. A new starter fixed mine issue.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts