Discussion Starter #1
I have a 05 Silverado 2500HD and recently I noticed the clear coat
peeling off the factory aluminum wheels. Has anyone else had this
problem? Also, I took the truck to the local dealer who suggested
removing the tires, stripping the old clear and reclearing. Is this a
good idea? I called the Chevrolet assistance number and tried to get
the wheels replaced but they told me that I would have to let the
dealer try reclearing the wheels before they would consider replacing
the wheels. The truck only has 22,000 miles. What should I do?

·
Registered
448 Posts
usaually starts in the as-cast areas first (the angle of the slots on the PYO's) or where the wheels wieghts are because they trap the de-icer and there is a subtle electrolytic effect between the lead and aluminum. FIRST thing I always do with any wheel polished/clear-coated/or chrome is get the balancing wieghts on the inside before trouble starts. Plus it's a cleaner appearance.

I understand some have had some luck getting the peeling one's replaced in warranty period.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
You got a better response from your dealer than me. They told me all they could do was to paint them :mad: . Made a call to the BBB and they said GM made me a reasonable offer and I should accept this. Hmmm when I bought my truck the window sticker said polished alluminum wheels, not painted.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Last spring I noticed that my PYO's where showing some (as in small ) corroision on each wheel. Thought i'd just get hot with some 1000-2000 sandpaper, etc, then thought...Let's see if the dealer will do anything.

Took it down, service writer took a look at it and just said, "I'll order new ones." Week later, all new wheels.

Yea, still amazed.

Bill

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Mine are oxidizing as well. I've accepted it as eventually they will be winter wheels anyway.

I also didn't wash the truck nearly as much the first winter as I should have.

Still, I would have thought they would have made it more than 2 years before corroding.

Chris

·
Diesel Master, Formerly goth2o
5,510 Posts
Try a different dealer. I have a buddie that got some replaced by warranty. There was an Impala in at the same time for the same thing. I also bought a set of used wheels from the dealer a few years back (i knew someone in service) that were replaced with new warrantied wheels. Some people complain enough and get the smallest things covered. My dad had his plastic radio/heater controll surround on his PT Bruiser replaced for paint chipping. I've heard of emblems peeling clear and getting covered. I'd stay on their as* and milk them for all they got. The only reason that one will cover and the other won't is lack of ambition/motivation to please a customer. Bumper to bumper should mean just that (aside form the obvious:tires,brakes/oil changes). If you hit a curb, fine. If it's the factories problem, why should you pay for it?

·
Registered
448 Posts
if your not gonna wash 'em regular in the winter, wash em once when they start putting de-icer down...

and smear them complete with vaseline and forget 'em. ;)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Had the same problem with one of my aluminum wheels on my 2005 GMC. The dealer didn't want to replace the wheel, but then I reminded them that I bought this truck brand new from their dealership. (It's actually my second GMC).

They replaced the wheel at no charge, as they should. I didn't pay cash for a fully loaded truck to get jerked around over a defective clear coat job on a wheel.

I'd try a different dealership.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Mine are doing the same thing. I talk to the dealer i bought the truck from and they told me my extended warrranity does not cover them since Gm considers clear coat paint.The dealer told me the same thing "have to send them off to get the rims recoated". So I called the warranity hot line and got the ball rolling and extended warranity is going to cover the rims now, but at a different dealership since they told me they will order me new rims right off the bat. This dealership also said that the wheel weights is what cause the clear coat to start peeling but i am happy i am getting new rims.

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
Mine are peeling too. My truck has never seen a salted road. It has 33,013 miles on it. I am going tomorrow to see about them replacing all four ( all four are peeling). I will be pissed if they try to offer "repainting" of my wheels, especially while it's still under factory warranty. Never used harsh chemicals to clean them, in fact, I used the same soapy water and sponge used to wash the truck.

jdlover1, What number did you call for your wheel replacement in case I run into the same bs with my dealer? Or were you talking about your extended warranty?

·
Registered
960 Posts
Mine are doing the same thing. I talked with the woman who works for Alcoa and actually designed the wheels. I told her of my problem and she told me that Alcoa has a 5 year, no mileage warranty on the wheels. So I am definitely going to the dealer this week even though my truck already has 40,600 miles on it. It's still only 22 months old.

She said they may try and get out of it, but at the very least they should get you Alcoa's local rep's name and number about replacing them. Both of mine on the driver's side are shot and the passenger side ones are now starting the same thing.

She said it's probably from the new liquid de-icer that many states are now using on the highways. They actually have a big meeting this week to discuss the problem.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Clear coat peeling off of wheels

GM does have a bulletin on this problem and the dealers should replace or refinish the wheels. Just make sure you get it in before the warranty is up.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Anyone seen the bulletin on this issue ? Any one able to come up with a home grown repair for this ? I realise its a reaction of the two metals, my trucks now
almost 6 years old, so warrantee issue out of the question I think.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts