Diesel Place banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking about using this on the rocker panels on my truck and wanted to know if any body has had any experience with it pro or cons

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I used Cabela's clear trim ~ IIRC comes in 12'X6" roll. Seems thicker than the Invinca shield I put on the hood but more affordable. On my previous truck, prior to the clear stuff I used duct tape on my elk hunting trips to CO. Appearance wasn't an issue because it was out of the State and nobody knew who I was ;)

Shummy ~

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
I've used 3M Scotchguard Clear film and it has a 5 year waaranty. The local guy that installs it for a living swears by it. He says it's the only clear film he uses anymore, 3M stands behind their products bar none.

DEWFPO

·
Registered
62 Posts
I live in Tennessee and was wondering where you are buying this protector at, can it by bought over the net or at your local auto parts store?

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
You can buy them over the net pre-cut and install yourself or look in the yellow pages for an installer. My installer does window tinting as well. They go by SunPro.

DEWFPO

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How does it compare price wise against stainless steel rocker panels?

·
Registered
113 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
i'm not sure about that stuff it seems after a period of time it might turn a yellowish color and if your going to get any painting done that stuff is a pain to get off

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
I have a complete set cut for my truck but never put it on. I was afraid that if I ever spilt while filling my truck, the stuff would peal off or discolor

·
Registered
69 Posts
Got it on mine. They make patterns for every car out there. It is not that easy to install however, especially on things like your hood that require a lot of finesse in stretching around bends etc....

·
Registered
536 Posts
I've got 3M ClearShield on mine. It's expensive. I had a local installer put a 6 inch strip on the hood, leading edge of fenders and the little painted bars in the grill. It cost about $200 for that.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Check out Invisiblemask.com. I've used them twice for my wife's car and her new van. I thought about it on the truck but I'm maxxed out with mods at this point. Most of the companies out there use 3M at this point. Venture has one that holds up better on white vehicles as far as yellowing goes. It really comes down to the companies Plotter. The company above is owned by Xpel and uses the same larger cuts with less little pieces. It's a bit harder to intall with the larger pieces but worth it for the reduction of edges everywhere. Basically shop the coverage. Find out how large the pieces are. The intallation is not that hard. Some patience and a not very rounded vehicle make it easier but well worth it in the long run. If you do order ask for a discount. I asked and he gave me 20% off the internet price... He may not be doing it now but it worked before.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
How thick is the material, would it be thick enough to withstand rock chips or eventually would it wear through and have to be replaced?

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Iadiesel;1615116; said:
How thick is the material, would it be thick enough to withstand rock chips or eventually would it wear through and have to be replaced?
It was originally designed to protect the blades on helicopters operating in the desert. Stopped the blades from pitting from the dust hitting them. Very strong and should last a long time. Put it this way, my wife and I were in her car traveling on a 5 lane North of Atlanta GA about 80mph in the midst of lots of traffic. All I saw was what looked like a child's stroller. I couldn't go anywhere and it hit the side of the front passenger bumper and hood, winshield pillar and the mirror. Everywhere I had the 3M was perfect and you could see scuffs on the plastic but no damage. Even the mirror took a direct hit and pretty much broke the mirror off but the stuff I put on the mirror was perfect... As soon as budget allows it will be on my truck. It's on my wife's new van and it looks great and has held up very well. Good investment if you plan on keeping your vehicles. At one time is was soo pricey it was reserved only for Ferrari's and other exotics but it really is worth the money they are charging these days...

·
Registered
10 Posts
3M Paint protector

I bought mine in Nashville, TN., they also installed it. Been on over a year and 25000 miles. Works great on rocks and bugs comes off easy.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Bought mine online @ www.invinca-shield.com . Been on for >4yrs w/o an issue/fading/peeling or whatever. Couldn't find anyone to install it so I kept all the fun to myself.

Shummy ~

·
Registered
69 Posts
Mine has a 5 year warranty from the guy who installed it. I got a deal thru a friend, but was told to have the hood and rockers done front to back, 10 inchs up would be around 1000 dollars.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts