Diesel Place banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had the Cleaning Exhaust Filter Keep Driving message come on 4 times since I have had my LML. The first I got on the interstate and drove about 30 miles before it went off. The second and third I couldn't. After 2 or 3 stops the reduced engine power came on. The dealer found that the NOx sensor to be bad and replaced. They said that when this message occurs you must drive over 30 mph for 30 minutes, if you get under 30mph during that 30 minutes the 30 minutes start over. Is this correct?

It came on this morning again. Yesterday I drove 250 miles on the interstate. I got home, took the truck to work this morning, went into town after a couple hrs and the message appeared. Got on the interstate and drove until it came off. I am pretty sure it regen'd yesterday during my trip because I have noticed that the compass quits working when it regens and my fuel milage went down. Dealer said to bring it in.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I don't really get the point of this post but first of all the LML's don't have a message that comes on during regen. Also the 30 mins at 30 mph and if you go under 30 mph it starts over is a crazy theory. Yes, its better to drive when the truck is in regen but there isn't a minimum speed that you have to go.

My first question is that this truck must not be an LML? second, the dealer that you used has no idea what they are talking about. Third the compass won't stop working during regen. The only thing you can notice when an LML is in regen is an elevated idle, lower fuel mileage, and also a different smell that most people don't even pick up on.

·
Registered
410 Posts
That message does appear on the DIC, but only after some stop and go driving, and the truck is having difficulty completing the regen.

And after a couple of restarts without driving until message clears, it will limp the truck

All this is covered in the manual

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't really get the point of this post but first of all the LML's don't have a message that comes on during regen. Also the 30 mins at 30 mph and if you go under 30 mph it starts over is a crazy theory. Yes, its better to drive when the truck is in regen but there isn't a minimum speed that you have to go.

My first question is that this truck must not be an LML? second, the dealer that you used has no idea what they are talking about. Third the compass won't stop working during regen. The only thing you can notice when an LML is in regen is an elevated idle, lower fuel mileage, and also a different smell that most people don't even pick up on.
First, the truck is a 2011 CC 3500 DRW LML. Second I agree that my dealer has no idea what they are talking about that is why I started this thread. Third, I do not know why the compass doesn't work during regen, but I have heard this from others also. hogracer3d is right it is in the manual pg 5-12 and 9-11. Also on 9-11 of the diesel manual is says "extended idle should be avoided because of the DPF system is not capable of self cleaning at idle." My question was about if you drop below 30 mph the regen must start over. That does not seem right to me. It is not easy to find a road that you can drive 30 miles without stopping for a stoplight or construction. Then when the message clears you have to turn around and drive 30 miles back, a waste of an hour and 5 gallons of fuel.

·
Registered
4,163 Posts
My question was about if you drop below 30 mph the regen must start over. That does not seem right to me.

It's not right.......

There is no set speed. All they are trying to say is you need to drive to burn off the soot.....preferably on the highway. If you're in stop and go traffic in the city, you'll catch more soot than you are burning off.

·
Registered
288 Posts
First, the truck is a 2011 CC 3500 DRW LML. Second I agree that my dealer has no idea what they are talking about that is why I started this thread. Third, I do not know why the compass doesn't work during regen, but I have heard this from others also. hogracer3d is right it is in the manual pg 5-12 and 9-11. Also on 9-11 of the diesel manual is says "extended idle should be avoided because of the DPF system is not capable of self cleaning at idle." My question was about if you drop below 30 mph the regen must start over. That does not seem right to me. It is not easy to find a road that you can drive 30 miles without stopping for a stoplight or construction. Then when the message clears you have to turn around and drive 30 miles back, a waste of an hour and 5 gallons of fuel.
Yes, that what it says. Mine will regen to completion in multiple short (4 miles) trips back and forth to work. Once I was waiting at the feed store for the workers to load me up, I had the truck running for the with the AC on and felt waves of heat about 6 ft from the tailpipe. I could actually see the heat waves! The reciept I was holding was turning black from it!

This may be because of the high tempertures that we have in Phoenix AZ.

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
tnew,

The reason for the higher idle speed during regen is so regen can resume quicker once the truck is again being driven. (which is a round about way of saying that the regen 'continues' after going below 30 rather that starts over after going below 30)

·
Registered
2 Posts

I am staring at a Cleaning Exhaust Filter Continue Driving message on the I/P of a 2015 Chevy K3500 with an LML at this very moment.

·
Premium Member
2015 Silverado 2500 HD 6.6 Duramax LTZ
695 Posts

Reactions: John Brenn

·
Registered
2 Posts

I don't really see anybody on here that knows what they are talking about.A Cleaning Exhaust Filter Continue Driving message will appear at any speed even at idle. "My first question is that this truck must not be an LML? second, the dealer that you used has no idea what they are talking about."When the truck goes into regen mode the exhaust must reach temperatures and continue until the soot mass is at zero.I see another fellow claiming that his truck will complete a regen in short 4 mile trips to work.I can not even get a Duramax coolant temp up enough to initiate the regen in just 4 miles.I just had one that had a very slightly restricted indirect injector and would not complete a regen.The ECM must see these temperatures to clear the message.The EGT's were 630F #1 1050F #2 1030F #3 1020F #4 and not setting any DTC's but the regen would not complete because the #2 EGT sensor must see 1,100 to 1,300 degrees.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts