Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pulled the Rad this week and did a little cleanup!!! OMG!! was it bad, don't know how the old girl kept cool.....You say ya want pictures, here you go....Did not actually get a pic of the Rad but the condensor tells it all..

Attachments

·
Registered
9,366 Posts
He shoots, he scores... score is 'clean rad' 1, 'expensive upgrades' 0...

'way to go, Yikes. The Alberta guys rock! (Was in to see the Stampede today; got stuck in traffic on MacLeod Tr for an hour... if my rad was dirty, I would have overheated with the AC on, just sitting there.)

Let us know what happens with your trailer, now. Change your thermostat while it's apart (I prefer the genuine ACDelco one - get it at a dealer.) and check your fan clutch - make sure it's clean, and make sure it isn't leaking the magic silicone fluid from the centre of teh coil at the front.

If it still overheats, change your fan clutch next.

Jim

·
Registered
771 Posts
Great pics, It's hard to stress enough when guys are haveing over heating problems that they need to clean the rad. The poster usally says, "it looks clean". Hopefully these pictures will help make believers out of "it looks clean" crowd so it won't take so much persausion for them to pull the rad.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
You are defiantly going to see a difference .

·
Registered
501 Posts
Yikes!
Mine looks clean, but methinks I need to clean it anyway. Driving from Fairbanks AK to Valdosta GA next month with a ton of crap in the bed, I don't need to screw around.

·
Registered
587 Posts
I have never seen so much crap in a radiator. Mine didn't have 1/10 that much gunk in it last time I looked. I'm still going to pull it because it's never been done, but good lord, get a bug screen or something.

·
Registered
3,149 Posts
I have seen way worse. That is not bad at all.

·
Registered
9,366 Posts
Mine was worse than that. The crap just accumulates - and lots of it goes through the coolers but not through the rad, so you get that 'wool blanket' effect in between them, like you see in Yikes' picture #1.

That fuzzy stuff is dandelion fluff, cottonwood tree fluff, dust, etc. It's real fine, but it adds up.

What's worse is the sand that you can't see in pics (hardly by eye) but it comes out when you soak and wash a few times. A couple grains of sand in each of the fins can cut your airflow in half pretty quick.

·
Registered
4,545 Posts
jackb;1874857; said:
Yikes!
Mine looks clean, but methinks I need to clean it anyway. Driving from Fairbanks AK to Valdosta GA next month with a ton of crap in the bed, I don't need to screw around.
Thats gonna to be a hell of a drive! :eek:

·
Registered
4,545 Posts
I need to do mine!

·
Registered
473 Posts
The new bodysyle (99-07) is bad about doing that also. We see alot of ranchers around here that are full of bugs and grass.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I'am too a believer in cleaning the rad. I pulled mine out this week as well just for the hell of it and I was very surprized too see how dirty it was, dandilion stuff, grass, leaves, many bug parts I could not see thru it , and now after I've cleaned it I can, and it is not a big job at all just a few hours, the only problem I had was the bottom hose clamp, i hate them factory springy clamps.

Menno.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Mine looked like picture one, and something no one here mentioned, I bet your A/C works better now too. I'd still look into the upgrades, you can do them slowly, one or too at a time but for sure do them all. Never hurts to have too much cooling when driving(or sitting) in the hot summer days.

·
Registered
56 Posts
wow. for anyone out there thinking "mine doesn't look that bad... will this still work?" the answer is yes. I pulled and cleaned mine and it looked NEW compared to this, I still noticed quite a difference in cooling while towing.

·
Registered
9,366 Posts
bowtie;1876030; said:
Mine looked like picture one, and something no one here mentioned, I bet your A/C works better now too. I'd still look into the upgrades, you can do them slowly, one or too at a time but for sure do them all. Never hurts to have too much cooling when driving(or sitting) in the hot summer days.
I'm with you, Bowtie... I figure this is one of those addictive things, like adding power. You do one mod, then another, then another...

Clean first, do thermostat. You'll want more. Clutch, fan, HO Water pump, maybe 97 dual-therm crossover... by then you'll be ready to clean it again!

The good thing about doing cooling mods is it increases the chance of having to do them again... doing power mods actually decreases the odds of you having the truck long enough to do them again. LOL.

There's that fine line between WOW and ka-BOOM that most of us tread...

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey everyone, Just 2 things I want to mention,
#1. If not for the great advice from this site I probably would not have thought of cleaning the rad. My truck and I thank everyone for it. The way I see it is, lots of real world advice + helpful people = One Great Website!! DieselPlace ROCKS!!!
#2. Heading out for a week of vacation with the family, temps in Calgary are in the 30C and I'll be pullin' the fifth and boat, so I will post some results when I get back, looking forward to a cool ride!! Cheers all!!

·
Registered
192 Posts
:eek: wow suprised you didnt blow anything up

i usally clean my radiators every 3 months just to be on the safe side i dont like a plugged radiator

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
Never cleaned mine...........I guess that's about to change!

Thanks for the great info guys!!!!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Cleaned mine and added some water wetter when I refilled the system now it runs easily 15Deg/C cooler and the weather has been very hot lately. I'm sold on cleaning the rad!!!!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Great pictures Yikes,

I always thought my rad was clean and for the most part it was, however your pictures show that it's not always the rad that gets dirty, but it is the spaces between the AC condenser and the oil and transmission coolers. I finally did mine a few weeks ago and when I pulled the oil and transmissions coolers forward mine looked just like yours. At that point I realized it doesn't matter how clean your rad is if the air can't get through the two coolers stacked in front of it. Today I just installed a pair of 180 F thermostats, I think they will make a big difference also. Good luck towing.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts