Diesel Place banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, the truck will fail the annual inspection the truck needs -on smoke.
To eliminate the oil breather system, what please can I clean/service /check hopefully not replace?
It is not using oil or water and at 80,000 miles the injectors may be worn, but will save changing any expensive parts till last.
I did change the oil etc, no difference.
One bank is worse -drivers side-its more grey than blue.
I would leave it but governments are determined to make diesels as popular as coronavirus, especially smokey ones. Despite telling us to buy them in the first place.
Thanks!

·
Administrator
15,989 Posts
I would change out your air filter, do an oil change and install a new oil filter. Install a fresh set of glow plugs and inspect your glow plug wires.
If you suspect the Injectors are worn I would perform a pop test to rule them out and if the test shows the pop pressures are off/bad spray patterns, etc.. then I would replace them before the annual inspection

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers okdually.
Done all that, bar the injector pop test (have no test rig + workshops in lockdown).
If others are viewing this, the advice is to keep any part of you AWAY from the spray in the test. Blood poisoning is fatal, it could go through gloves and skin at that psi.
The smoke is pulsing and present when warm at idle.
Dunno why it comes goes comes goes. On throttle constant smoke.
Anyways, suppose the other cheap fix is advancing the pump, not sure why that would work(presume wear).
PS dunno why smoke such big issue, in this era every diesel bus truck etc was the same.
If it didn't smoke was broke or turned off. Now just use filter on exhaust -band aid solution.

·
Registered
6,198 Posts
The IP wears and the timing backs off cause of the increased rotation it takes to get to pressure to pop the injector.

Do a advance leaver test to see if it can take more timing cause timing it by ear ... it will be over timed I bet.

·
Registered
3,625 Posts
Sounds like a possible worn IP to me. But I would clean the CDR and go from there. Dont delete it though or seals are going to start leaking...

Reactions: Bigboytoys
1 - 5 of 5 Posts