Diesel Place banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was driving my truck pulling my atv and the check engine light came on. and then the truck started to clattering really loud. i pulled over and shut the truck off then started it and it was fine i drove about 20 miles more and it did it again. but this time it would not come out of it. it sounds like a brokin piston or a vavle has let loose. but i dont know much about diesels. when it comes to gas is where i have spent my life under the hood making power.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Look under the hood right next to the airbox, on the engine. There is a support for the wiring harness right there that is connected to the FICM. It will drop 4 cylinders when this harness shorts out. There's a recall for it.

To get moving along, cut the zip tie, and put something rubber under it for the time being.

Let me know what happens.

Brayden

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
FICM Wiring harness. I'll find you the TSB.

·
Registered
490 Posts

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
It's an aluminum bracket that protrudes from the engine. It is sort of u-shaped to cradle that harness. It is wrapped in friction tape instead of split loom.

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
You won though :)

04 05 6.6 LLY Fuel Injector Driver Circuit Codes P0201 through P0208 - kw P0202 P0203 P0204 P0205 P0206 P0207 P2146 P2149 intermittent SES miss misfire DTC MIL GMT800 GMT560 #PIP3238 - (Nov 16, 2004)

04 05 6.6 LLY Fuel Injector Driver Circuit Codes P0201 through P0208

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom described in the PI.

Condition/Concern:

Intermittent SES or MIL light on with injector driver trouble codes P0201 P0202 P0203 P0204 P0205 P0206 P0207 P0208 and bank shutdown trouble codes P2146 or P2149.

Recommendation/Instructions:

2. Complete normal SI diagnosis for the trouble codes set.
3. Injector circuit or injector coil tests may be normal until the engine reaches operating temperature, recheck circuit/injector resistance readings with warm engine.
4. Inspect for wire harness chafes on the Fuel Injection Control Module (FICM) wiring harness retaining bracket. This is an aluminum bracket very close to the FICM connectors.
5. If diagnosis is inconclusive, inspect the injector connections on all related cylinders. Pin drags and terminal tension can be checked with Kent Moore tool number J-35616-4A.
6. Clear trouble codes, then wiggle test related injector connectors to see if trouble codes can be induced.
7. If the trouble codes or customer concern is induced during the wiggle test, replace the complete engine wiring harness. At this time there is no repair for the terminals or connectors at the injector
8. If the engine harness needs to be replaced please make a Field Product Report. In the Field Product Report include the customers complaint, the symptoms that you observed, any trouble codes set, the troubleshooting steps that were performed, and any other information that helps describe what you found and repaired.
9. Engineering is requesting the case be closed with labor operation N6606 for tracking purposes.

Note: If the 6.6 LLY diesel engine harness needs to be replaced for a terminal tension concern, do not cut the harness. At this time the harness is not serviced with any type of pigtail repair. Replace the harness as a complete harness assembly.

Note: Dealer technicians are to repair wire chafes at the Fuel Injection Control Module (FICM) as needed. Follow the correct SI wiring repair procedures. Insulate the harness from the aluminum retaining bracket with suitable material ( electrical conduit or heater hose ) so the harness will not chafe again.

Note: When diagnostics are being completed for Injector Driver Fault codes the dealer technician may notice the Fuel Injection Control Module (FICM) connector is wet or has a wet residue on it. The FICM connectors do have a type of dielectric grease that may be mistaken for diesel fuel. The FICM should not be replaced if this type of wet residue is found. Clean and dry the connectors as needed. No extra dielectric grease needs to be added to the FICM connectors.

Please follow this diagnosis process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed. If these steps do not resolve the condition, please contact GM TAC for further diagnostic assistance.

Models:

(04 05 6.6 LLY C2 C3 K2 K3 Chevrolet Silverado, GMC Sierra GMT800) and (04 05 6.6 LLY C4 C5 E4 E5 D4 D5 Chevrolet Kodiak, GMC Topkick GMT560)

·
Registered
41 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Happened to our truck this weekend. We were towing our fifth-wheel toyhauler over the mountains and out to the desert when it lost power. Rather inconvenient. Pushed the OnStar button, and they said it was broke good, and would have to be towed. Unfortunately, when the tow truck arrived, they couldn't (wouldn't) tow the whole enchilada to the dealer, so we had to unhitch the trailer and leave it by the side of the road along with my wife and son. Fortunately, upon inspection at the dealer, the tech understood exactly what was going on, and fixed it within an hour. Turned a bad day around. Still missed a good day riding, but we did get there that night. Luckily, the truck didn't crap out on one of the narrow steep grades we had been on. That would have created a real chaotic scene... My confidence level in the truck has certainly decreased.

Ed

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
I wouldn't let that get you down.. It's just a little electrical routing issue. They should have replaced your whole harness under warranty.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i brought it to the dealer and they had found it was the #2 and #7 injector wires were bad. but the hosed me a 100 bucks. little mad i had to tow the **** there

·
Registered
490 Posts
Wow ! I'm never right. Ask my wife

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
same thing happened to me too. Towing a 40' 5th wheel, and power went to crap. First was the number 7, this time the number 2. Cost me $0 and towed both my truck and camper. Also, they replaced the fuel pressure regulator valve , as they said it was a common failure too.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
all i can say is they did it fast and the also repogramed my pc seems to have a little more get up and go

·
Registered
330 Posts
This happened to mine today! Drivin down the road, highway, 72MPH, all the way from San Antonio to Dallas and somewhere just south of Hillsboro - boom - CEL and no power.

So, I checked a few things, couldn't see this connector or what the problem is, and had to have it towed back to Waco, TX.

So, now I'm in Dallas, with a rental car, while the dealer in Waco has the truck. Hopefully tomorrow, I should get word that everything is fixed.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
i took mine to the dealer to see if they would just replace the harness
because on down time they checked mine and said it was good but
to replace it would have gave me a better piece of mind driving.tehy
know its a problem but wont fix it until it happens and hopfully
its out of warranty.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Well, got word back from the dealer, mine has an electrical open on the #2 injector (and he found my EGR was unplugged, oops "gee that's strange"). So they're ordering the parts.

This sucks, if it's not fixed by Thursday, I have to drive this stupid rental from Dallas back to San Antonio, and then drive back to Waco when my truck is fixed.

:(

Since my dealer has determined this isn't the harness issue, I've created a different thread as no to crap on this one.
http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=68411

1 - 17 of 17 Posts