Diesel Place banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
That is the best way I know how to describe it. It is most noticable with accerating slowly. I think I can hear it on hard acceration but it is difficult to hear with the normal engine noise at higher RPMs. It sounds like it is coming from in the engine comparment on the drivers side. It is not down low through the floor board but sounds like it is higher up in the engine. It has no consistancy, sometimes it does it sometimes it doesn't. Coming off a stop light if I hear it start to clatter I can let off the throttle and then reapply and it won't clatter. I have done some searches and have read other people having the same clatter but still inconclusive as to what is causing it and if it is harmfull or not. I am posting this in this section because I didn't have it until I installed the Edge EZ. When I was running the hypertech I never heard this through all of its power bands. I do get it though all the power bands on the edge. I do not have the HT and the edge power stacked the HT is set on stock preformance but is adjusting for the oversize tires. I have not noticed any change in preformace, power wise or change in boost. The truck has about 21,000 miles and the fuel filter has less than 1,000 miles on it. Not a CA truck.

I never ran the boost stick with the HT or on stock settings, it might have something to do with, but I don't know. The edge and the boost stick were installed at the same time.

Thanks in advance for the help.

·
Registered
4,148 Posts
Contact Edge and see if they have a solution. Sounds like a flakey box to me.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
It is either a flakey box or normal timing rattle.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have the same condition, Edge says there is a new reflash through GM. I took my Edge off and no more noise. Will do reflash on Thursday 2/16, I'll let you know what happens.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have the same condition, Edge says there is a new reflash through GM. I took my Edge off and no more noise. Will do reflash on Thursday 2/16, I'll let you know what happens.

Does your truck make the noise all the time with the Edge installed? I didn't hear it at all yesterday or on the way to work this morning. I am going to wait to see if it gets worse before I do anything drastic, like taking it to the stealer.

·
Registered
21 Posts
It would do it most of the time, in the stock to level 3 settings. Always on take off, if I throttled it, it would drive right through it and seem to be o.k.
No check light ever set. Once it started to make noise it would keep it up until the engine was shut down, and then I would hope it would be o.k. on the next start up. If it ran fine it seemed like it would stay that way until the next re-start. Kinda like a crap shoot.

·
Registered
21 Posts
O.K. Had the dealer reflash the pcm, bulletin PIP3129B, same reflash that techline at Edge said to do, had something about fuel knock and smoke, too much fuel at low speeds. Re-Installed the juice and drove it about 70 miles today in levels 1-3 and no problem with clatter. Did about 4 restarts throughout the day. I'll let you know if things change.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts