Diesel Place banner
41 - 58 of 58 Posts

· Premium Member
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Started on the left side. If GM would have just used the same metal they used on the inners on the outers and the little brace inside, we wouldn't be having these issues. Cheaped out... %#$&^*^%.....

Attachments

· Premium Member
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
I thought the corner might have been sound, but failed the ballpeen hammer test. Rusted from the inside out. Looks like that little brace, made from poor metal, cause all the grief.. Anyway, onward...

Attachments

· Premium Member
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Cut a small part of the floor out that had a rust hole in it. Checked the gauge of the floor metal. .060 which is 16 gauge. The repair panel that they sell is for the whole foot box or ith inner part, not just the out by itself. I will see if I can get a piece of 16 gauge this week..

Attachments

· Premium Member
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 · (Edited)
I had a quart of POR-15 in red that I had purchase early last year to see if it was close enough to match. I figured I would paint the floor I just cleaned with it as it will be covered with something (maybe bedliner) later and this way it will protect the metal, help stop corrosion and I could see what the color looked like. Well, it's not a match, but will be used for another project down the line.

Pro-Tip, haha, my daughter always texts with with "pro-tip" when she see's something she thinks I need to know. Don't know if this is a pro-tip. If you have ever used POR-15 and got any in the lid sealing groves, you will never open the can again after you close it a leave it sit for any length of time. This worked perfect for me. LOL.

Attachments

· Premium Member
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Bought a piece of 16 gauge. Heavy stuff. Had to heat a bit to bend. Fitted, glued and screwed. Stainless screws will be removed after glue sets up. Anyway, good enough for government, as we used to say.

Thanks for looking..

Attachments

· Administrator
22,222 Posts
Great progress! (y)

· Premium Member
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
OK, so ready to paint. I scuffed the primer sealer with red scotchbrite lightly. The POR15 red topcoat I had was too brite. I tinted with black topcoat, but too much the first time (last picture), so after overnight, I dribbled black, mixed, dribbled, mixed about six times and came close enough for a farm truck. Looks better every time I look at it. The POR flattens a bit over time when it hardens. Inbetween coats today, I used up the black top coat on the back of the truck. Brought the powdercoated tank mounts out of storage and mounted them with stainless hardware. Wanted to get the cab corners done before mounting the saddle tank, which is also powdercoated. Need to get straps and strap liners before I install the tank for the final time...

Thanks for looking!!!

Attachments

· Premium Member
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 · (Edited)
Had numous screw holes in the back of the cab, so I fixed them up. Now I need to get some more topcoat. I don't like how spray bombs look when they dry, but I do like the way POR-15 dry to a shinny finish, even when I roll it on, LOL. Have to see if they have red in stock, and black so I can tone it down again. Tomorrow is a new day!

Attachments

· Premium Member
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
I bought some inner rocker protectant, and then some rustproofing. Looks like I will have to get some more tomorrow for another coat. One can of the inner spray worked out great for two rockers., but the one can of rustproofing was not enough...

Enjoy.

Attachments

· Administrator
22,222 Posts
I bought some inner rocker protectant, and then some rustproofing. Looks like I will have to get some more tomorrow for another coat. One can of the inner spray worked out great for two rockers., but the one can of rustproofing was not enough...

Enjoy.
The 3M cavity wax is good stuff (y)

· Premium Member
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
Went to town and picked up 2 more cans of rustproofing and a quart of color and hardener. They don't have red POR-15 in stock and they only order it on a stock order and that could be up to a month. So, I went with car paint with hardener. Victory Red.

Attachments

· Premium Member
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
Rolled on car paint with hardener. Word of caution, don't do second coat until past the real tacky phase. It pulls the hair off the roller, even when the roller has no hair, i.e., strings of paint. It will have a slight dimple finish, which I knew from doing this previous, but it will be hard and shinny, and that's good enough for a work (hobby farm) truck. I will post pics tomorrow if it flattens out more over night.. I burned up the rest of the mix on the floor repair..

Enjoy..

Attachments

41 - 58 of 58 Posts