Diesel Place banner
21 - 40 of 58 Posts

· Premium Member
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Update,

We'll the day after I took my truck to the sandblasters, it rained and then after the weekend, the State shutdown. WI can open now, but not sure when he will start up again. So, at a stand still now. LOL.. I'm in no hurry.

Also, contemplating a dump box with a hidden gooseneck ball.

See what happens when you have to wait and the mind wanders....

Just an update,

CB1

· Premium Member
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
60 gallon Western Star fuel tank mounted. New take-off from the County highway dept. $180.00 auction win a couple years ago. Brackets and straps were included. Mounting plates I had made and are powder-coated for $100 bucks total. I'm a couple bolts short tonight. Hardware store tomorrow..

CB1

Attachments

· Premium Member
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Video, but don't know how. Anyway, it runs again, yeah!! Brake line tomorrow and I can take in and out of shop on its own legs.

CB1

· Premium Member
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 · (Edited)
Truck project has been idle for a while, but I was showing the truck and noticed that the floor insulation was wet. So, with that I took the seat out and removed the flooring. Everything looks really good. I have to replace at least one rocker and one cab corner, but maybe all four, and posibly the inners, but will know more when I start cutting. I haven't replaced rockers, etc., for at least 15 years. The brown in the picture where the drivers feet go, is a inch of sand and crap that I hadn't removed before the photo. There is small corrosion in that area that should clean up. The area between that and the inner rocker is heavy corrosion and may need a patch...

Automotive lighting Hood Vehicle Motor vehicle Bumper
Vehicle Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Car
A buddy of mine said buy the thickest ones you can get. We'll, I can only find one maker that lists gauge, that being Brown's of Two Rivers, at 18 gauge.

Anyone know what the others are offering for gauge??

Thanks,

CB1

· Premium Member
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Changed the title today. Cousin has a gooseneck and I have a IHC dump, so we be missing a wrecker. So, I have a wrecker boom coming. Challenger 4800. I'm just mounting the boom and winch, not the stinger. It will come in handy for abandoned tractor recoveries. Anyway, that's this winters project unless we get another virus....

· Premium Member
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
We'll, back to gooseneck truck with a 10' x 7'6" flatbed.

Acquired a nice 33 gallon saddle tank that fit just right. Mocked up and bracket holes drilled.

Off to the powder coater,

CB1

Aluminum semi tank goes back on the shelf for a different project..
Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle Plant
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Tire Tread Bumper
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive exterior Bumper Automotive lighting
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread
Tire Wheel Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire

· Premium Member
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Well....it's winter, so I'm back on the HD, and it's in the shop.

I am going to replace the rockers and the cab corners. I have started on the right side and have ordered the parts. I also ordered a flange pliers as I didn't have one already. I do have a question..?...

The inner's are solid but appearently made of different stock then the outers which are rusted through,etc., but there are a couple spots of corrosion marking the surface (inside the rocker). I think the inners might have some galvanizing or simular in the mix and the corrosion is not like steel rust, more of a pitting. What would be best to put on these spots to stop the corrosion and or provent if from spreading. I do have some POR-15 (semi gloss black) that I could put on them, and that may be what I do.

Anyway, I'll take some pictures tomorrow to show what I am looking at and post..

Thanks, oh, and we are back to making a fifth wheel puller.

LOL

· Administrator
22,222 Posts
Well....it's winter, so I'm back on the HD, and it's in the shop.

I am going to replace the rockers and the cab corners. I have started on the right side and have ordered the parts. I also ordered a flange pliers as I didn't have one already. I do have a question..?...

The inner's are solid but appearently made of different stock then the outers which are rusted through,etc., but there are a couple spots of corrosion marking the surface (inside the rocker). I think the inners might have some galvanizing or simular in the mix and the corrosion is not like steel rust, more of a pitting. What would be best to put on these spots to stop the corrosion and or provent if from spreading. I do have some POR-15 (semi gloss black) that I could put on them, and that may be what I do.

Anyway, I'll take some pictures tomorrow to show what I am looking at and post..

Thanks, oh, and we are back to making a fifth wheel puller.

LOL
You can use Fluid Film, Wool Wax, or 3M makes a cavity wax product that you can spray in there to protect things

Reactions: CB1

· Premium Member
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Here is what I am working at currently. These are not the final cuts, but cuts back to solid metal. I will work with the new panels to come up with a good fit. I am going to glue the panels on with limited us of welds. I have ordered panel pliers for where that will work the best. Structurally sound first, appearence second....

Attachments

· Premium Member
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
The new panels came in for the right side today. I am doing one side at a time, so I could see the panel quality, etc., without getting it all up front and finding out it was junk. Browns of Two Rivers is where these came from. 0.046 panels thickness, slightless the 18 gauge, probably from being stamped, but that's my guess.. They look good so-far. Made in Taiwan.

More to come.

Attachments

21 - 40 of 58 Posts