Diesel Place banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine runs a Junior Dragster business, and my brother works for him. I was over at their shop yesterday, poking around in the stock room, and I noticed they had a clamp on bung for their EGT probes.

I think that I read somewhere that this has been tried on our system. Does it work? Does it not work? If it doesn't work, what are the problems? That LOOKS like it would make a very nice/easy installation...

cadman_ks

·
Registered
3,410 Posts
I can't see how a clamp on probe will be very accurate. The out side of the manifold will be several hundred degee cooler then inside. What happens when you hit a good size water hole? Will the temperature just drop like a rock, or will something go haywire?

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm sorry. It was NOT a clamp on probe.

They had a clamp that had a "fitting" on it that you tightened your probe in. It would use the exact same "in the flow" probes as everything else, you just wouldn't have to thread the manifold, all you would have to do is drill the hole...

cadman_ks

·
Registered
540 Posts
You still have to drill into the pipe. These are typically used for placing the probe in the exhaust pipe, as in post turbo. Usually not any place to install them pre turbo so drilling the manifold is the best.

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
I've seen it done on a Duramax. The hole was drilled in the 90 deg pipe coming out of the back of the exhaust manifold.

That metal is too thin for threads and the guy did not want to drill the manifold. He was one, if not the first to run propane and install an EGT gauge. It's basically a hose clamp with a hole in it. You drill a hole in the pipe, put the fitting in with the hose clamp.

·
Registered
845 Posts
The clamp style thermocouple came with my Autometer guages...Tony used it on his truck he should of chimed in on this.....
typical lazy moderator
...actually you guys are doing a super professional job

Bill

·
Registered
7,187 Posts
I did run the clamp on style for about a year. Just below the clamp for the down pipe.

Sloooooooooooowwww Reaction on the gauge
. Non modded truck would be OK.

Found out that stacking the Predator on 40HP Tow with just the HOT OJ buries the 1600 degree gauge WOT and causes a P0700 code too

The probe is internal, the depth is center in the stock 3 1/2" exhaust.

I would strongly recommend a passenger side install in 'THE HOOT" locatation.

T
NY

But, the Banks 4" keeps the EGT's at 1350 or less.
even stacking the VA with the Predator and Hot OJEdited by: GMC-2002-Dmax

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
GMC-2002-Dmax said:

Sloooooooooooowwww Reaction on the gauge
. Non modded truck would be OK.

Tony,

Was it slow because it was post turbo? or because it was so far from the turbo?

This style of bung shouldn't make the reaction time any slower should it?

cadman_ks

·
Registered
7,187 Posts
CADman_ks,

Yes being post turbo the turbo acts as a heat sink lowering EGT at least 200-300 degress, but the worrisome part is the initial spike of the EGT's is never seen.

The bung doesnot matter, but the probe should be as clocse to center of the exhaust stream as possible.

Since I don't drag race or pull anything being post turbo was not a concern or so I thought. I mostly just do an occational WOT blast in HOT OJ.

Running HOT OJ only --- > I see 1200-1300 max on WOT runs with a 4" Banks exhaust.

T
NY

Edited by: GMC-2002-Dmax

1 - 9 of 9 Posts