Diesel Place banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just purchased and installed a set of Cipa mirrors on a 2002HD Chevrolet. First of all let me say they are a huge improvement over the factory mirrors. Visibility is great and the installation was as easy as anything you are ever going to encounter. But, the passenger side mirror doesn’t seem to be right. Of course the mirrors collapse, and they move both in and out …. With a detent lock position for driving …. When the passenger side mirror is in the detent-locked position it is about 2” closer to the door than the drivers side mirror is. Is this normal? Do others who own these mirrors have similar situations? It functions fine like this … but it looks a little different than the drivers side mirror, plus in the extended, towing position it angles toward the back of the truck more than outside the truck. I guess my question is … is everyone else’s mirrors like this?

·
Registered
197 Posts
What you are observing it typical. I have seen several discussions on this elsewhere (RV forums) and my mirrors are the same. Some guy had CIPA remake a passenger side mirror for him to make it the same as the driver side (what a pain). I believe CIPA claims it was designed that way due to the viewing angles. Who knows. Anyway, I don't think there is anything wrong with your set - at least when compared to any other set. After a while you get used to it. Heck, we these mirrors you can see where you were last week!

·
Registered
134 Posts
Does the passenger mirror dip down when you put in in reverse? And does the Driver side mirror dim at night with lights behind you?

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah ..... and a little troll lives inside of the sliding tube cave ..... he gets out and reports to the driver on what is directly behind the truck.????

·
Registered
134 Posts
swilk said:
Yeah ..... and a little troll lives inside of the sliding tube cave ..... he gets out and reports to the driver on what is directly behind the truck.????

Before you rudely open your mouth again, you should know that those type of mirrors do come on the SLT's standard. I HAVE THEM. But, they are not extendable for towing and there is not convex mirror.

If your going to try to make fun of somebody, make sure you know what your talking about!!!!!!Edited by: Mr. Mister

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had no idea that Cipa mirrors came on GMC SLT's as standard equipment. I wonder if Cipa knows this .... Anyway, all joking aside, the Cipa mirrors I am talking about DO NO come on any truck as standard equipment and I have never seen a set of Cipa mirrors that dim or dip .... and since this thread was about Cipa mirrors and their fitment issues, I just assumed you were being a smart *** with your dim and dip question. But, now that I know you are not talking about Cipa mirrors and their fitment issues (which is the topic of this discussion) I would like to take back my earlier rude comments .... By the way, did you know this thread was about Cipa mirrors and their fitment issues and not about factory mirrors on a GMC SLT?

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Careful with the CIPA mirrors. I have had a set for a long time and love the veiw. What I HATE is they have no stops.... drivers door already dented from being folded by accident while parked on a ferry last year. Just last weekend while parking on that same ferry, the deck guy took it upon himself to fold the passenger side for me. Luckily that time it did'nt hit the paint.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
before this becomes the revival of the war room let me step in and try to help...

the cipa mirrors the thread is refering to are these ones

The other mirrors mr mister is refering to are only on the 03-up models and have advanced functions. ie. curb viev assist, auto dimming.

Swilk - yes my mirrors are like that.... i was so glad to be able to see behind me i didn't care that they didnt match exactally. did you know theres actually cars that drive behind you on the road.... i never knew till i got these..... 2 years in play and still love emEdited by: chevmeister

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My mirrors are exactly like chevmeisters. I kinda figured that they were intentionally made to be closer to the passenger side door than to the drivers side but just wnated to check with others for comparison. Also, mine do have positive stops ... both for fully folded and for fully pushed forward. I pulled with them for the first time this weekend and they are great .... you can see down the drivers side VERY, VERY well and down the passenger side VERY well.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Too bad they have not made these for 03 and up. I bought a set for my 01' and loved them. They are still in the garage packed for shipping. Have the Power Vision OEM extending mirrors now and don't like them. Can't see sheet behind me.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts