Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a noise coming from the front of the engine when the truck is running. It is a chirp sound and I think it is coming from the power steering pump. Has anyone had any noises like this?

2005 3500 dually, 4wd, Banks six gun bundle.

·
Banned
735 Posts
Usually you get a chirping sound from a worn belt. Thats what it probably is. Put some belt dressing on it to see if it stops. If it does, it's time to get e new belt. Get a good year gatorback, the best belt IMO.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My truck only has 12000 miles on it. It sits alot though. Could the belt go bad with that few miles on it?

·
Banned
735 Posts
I had a 99 1500 and the stock belt started doin it in cold weather. My truck only had like 15K-20K on it. Now I throw a gator back on everything and no more chirpin every time it gets cold out.

·
Registered
63 Posts
mine to

hey mjm my truck also chirps when it's idling strikes me as weird also, its done it since about 10000 miles now I have 33000 and still chirping at times!

·
Registered
524 Posts
mine still chirpin away at 8000 miles......................I dunno :)

·
Registered
349 Posts
Mine does too....I'm pretty sure its the belt. It only does it when its cold.
You could always just turn up the radio that has always worked for me in the past.

Mike

·
Registered
167 Posts
Mine chirps too, more when its cold, only 12k miles. checked the belts and they seem ok, maybe its just the factory belt is a cheapo. Will deal with it till I need a replacement belt.

·
Registered
802 Posts
ditto on the chirping but at all temps.

Mines an lb7 but a new belt fixed it 30,000 miles ago and still no chirp.....
even after i poured oil all over the front of the engine during a oil change:eek:
Everyone use to talk about gatorback (sp)belts but i got mine from napa. your guys trucks are newer sooo? first generations had problems with the belt tensioner.....dealer told me belts are not covered under warranty "useable parts" or something like that.

try the belt dressing if not, try the dealer see if they will cover it, then napa, just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
58 Posts
My truck developed a chirp around 18K. The dealer replaced a PS bracket, belt and altenator. No more chirp!

·
Registered
18 Posts
There is a TSB on the chirping I believe.
Mine was doing it so they modded the PS pump bracket, replaced the pulley and if I recall that was all they did. Problem solved.

Now if they will do something about that droaning sound onthe highway. They replaced most of the exhaust system and the noise is 50% gone but it is still evident.

·
Registered
132 Posts
chirping noise

my truck was makeing a chirping noise i took to the dealer they said the power steering pump pully was not lined up right they adjusted it and also bracket for the pump and put on a new belt they also showed me the tsb on this problem no more chirp now.wish they could find the cure for the tapping noise these trucks seem to have.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
mine chirped every morning when i would start it up to warm up
soon as the engine was worn noise gone.took it to the dealer at
34000miles they replaced the belt no noise now.as for the tapping noise
jrr i heard that tapping noise the one that comes and goes that is normal
per gm ever since i changed to amsoil synthetic never heard the noise
again.until i took it to the dealer for a very very minor oil pan leak they
changed the gasket and filled it back up with gm synthetic and now
magicaly the noise is back. i just wondering if its the oil.i will be changing
back to amsoil soon as it gets delevered to see if noise is gone again.

·
Registered
843 Posts
mine chirped from day one. dealer took the belt off and checked all the pulleys, ok. put the belt back on and the chirp was gone. the next day it was back. I went down to autozone and picked up a goodyear gatorback belt and the chirp has been gone for 5000 miles:)

·
Registered
90 Posts
Mine chirps whenever it's cold out on startup and shutdown. I have 35K on the truck now. I took it in to the dealer the other day, they replaced the ps pulley, did the mod to the ps bracket and put on a new belt. Chirping/squeeling sound is still there. Is there anything else that can be done. I read in other posts about the belt tensioners. Some have replaced them and problem went away. That might be my next step.

Still love the truck.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Service Slant
The February issue of "Motor" magazine had this article in their service slant column:

GM Truck--Belt chirp or squeal.
Some 2004-05 chevy silveradoes & gmc sierras with the 6.6l duramax diesel may give off an irritating chirp or squeal from the drive belt at idle after a cold start. gm says the noise uaually dimenishes or goes away after warm up, & is most likely due to misalignment between the power steering pump & crankshaft pulleys.
Begin repair by removing the belt & checking the position of the power steering pump pulley in relation to the pump shaft. the pulley's snout should be flush to the shaft, with a maximum deviation of no more than .039 in. either way. reposition the pulley on the shaft as necessary,then reinstall the belt. if noise goes away, your done. if it doesnt & vehicle was built prior to 6/04, remove the belt & replace the a/c compressor/power steering pump mounting bracket with updated version(p/n 97362175). now, use a 1/2" drill bit to open up the holes in the rear pump mounting bracket. this will ensure proper alignment when reinstalling the bolts. position the powersteering pump onto the new bracket, then install the front mounting bolts & torque to 37'lbs. now install the rear bolts, tighten to same spec. to complete the fix, reinstall the belt & start engine to ensure belt noise has been eliminated.
note that pickups built on or after 6/04 already have the updated mounting braket installed at the factory. but your still going to have to open up the holes in the rear bracket to ensure proper pump alighnment. follow the procedure outlined above.

http://www.motor.com/ sorry couldn't find a direct link to the article

·
Registered
90 Posts
Droaning sound

Now if they will do something about that droaning sound onthe highway. They replaced most of the exhaust system and the noise is 50% gone but it is still evident.
I had that droan on mine. Took it in to the dealer with photos and write up from a post on this site about adding "dappeners" to the exhaust downpipe before the CAT and the sound is now gone. That droan was just driving me crazy for the last 33000 km's. Do a search on "dampner".

·
Registered
90 Posts
Dr

Here's the TSB mentioned in the previous post. If you do a search on 1700 rpm moan and mpg, you'll see other posts also.

Exhaust Moan/Vibration (Replace Converter Assembly and Exhaust Muffler Assembly) #05-06-05-002 - (Jul 27, 2005)
Exhaust Moan/Vibration (Replace Converter Assembly and Exhaust Muffler Assembly)
2004-2005 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD/3500HD Series Crew Cab Short Box Pickups

2004-2005 GMC Sierra 2500HD/3500HD Series Crew Cab Short Box Pickups

with 6.6L Diesel Engine (VIN 2 -- RPO LLY)

Condition
Some customers may comment on a moan or vibration at vehicle speeds approximately 87-97 km/h (55-60 mph) and at approximately 1700-1800 RPM.

Correction
Replace the catalytic converter assembly and exhaust muffler assembly using the procedure listed in #05-06-05-002

1 - 20 of 21 Posts