Diesel Place banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So for some odd reason i seem to have a soft spot for the 6.5. I just bought another 95 1500 Z71 with the diesel. Now what i am trying to figure out is if a previous owner has installed a chip...It blows coal like crazy. As of now the vaccume pump is not working and the boost guage reads only about 3psi max so i know that is to blame for some of the smoke....but i still have a hunch that there is a cheapo chip in there somewhere....whats the easiest way to check??

·
A Country Boy Can Survive...
Gone but not forgotten Member!
14,352 Posts
take the ECM out from behind the glovebox and flip it over. there should be a little access door of sorts. the chip would go there. how you would identify it i don't know. my truck's OBDII so the entire computer has to be reflashed as it can't be "chipped" the usual way.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
The chip should have the manufacturer and S/N printed on the back. The original GM chip should also have very identifiable markings. That is the best way to tell. Get your vacuum system working. You might like the chip the way it is. Enjoy your 6.5's. You've got a lot of them. I'd love to pick up another one, but have run out of driveway room.

Jake

·
Premium Member
5,971 Posts
probably stock. Fix your boost problems. Smoke will clear up and truck will wake up.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Oh yeah, before my turbomaster my truck looked like a freight train coming down the pike, smoke everywhere, now with the master operating there is no smoke.

·
A Country Boy Can Survive...
Gone but not forgotten Member!
14,352 Posts
i notice that the OP is from CT. if you need help PM me for my # and i'll see what i can do. i've got a vac pump if yours is bad as well. its just sitting in my garage collecting dust after buying it new and using it for ~2 months before upgrading to the T/M.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i notice that the OP is from CT. if you need help PM me for my # and i'll see what i can do. i've got a vac pump if yours is bad as well. its just sitting in my garage collecting dust after buying it new and using it for ~2 months before upgrading to the T/M.
thanks for the offer! And on the pump..ive already got another turbomaster on order. I pulled the ECM out today and sure enough there is some chip from a canadian company..didnt recognize the name. I knew there was an awful lot of smoke..more so then when the pump went on my 96. We will have to see if the smoke is still there after the boost pressures are in check...

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No, neither of the above. It was something like Canadian Diesel Systems, but i dont think thats it...ill have to look at it again and let you guys know. Id like to find out if it is worth keeping in there or if i should just get another one from heath

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.