Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
12,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
front tires are getting chewed up ,rears look great, this is w/only 10,000 miles,i just cranked up torsion bars 2 turns [seems to help]i had to do this on my 02 also,, i thought gm aligned these trucks before we got them and ck'd fluids too[every fluid low],,this sucks i shouldn't have to buy new front tires this soon[yes i rotated them[at 4500 miles]

·
Banned
720 Posts
my 05 and lly 06 did this gm has had this problem for a while the said it was how i drive sling it it to curves stuff like that i even let the dealer line it up twice practally ruined two toyo open country tires i found a guy here in ga that does mobile rv and tractor trailers and he lines all of his stuff the old fasion way caster camber gadge and toe in bar he also has the 20000 alignment system but rarely uses it he said his was was more relible i turned the t bars all the way up and backed them back off three turn and had him to line it up still looks new no wear so far you you might want to try to find someone like that to do yours .

·
Registered
23 Posts
^^^^ same exact problem here

·
Registered
997 Posts
Mine did the same thing. I think the original owner cranked the bars and didn't reset the toe. After I did the toe in correctly it is wearing even and slowly.

·
Registered
954 Posts
i dont have that problem,over 100000 miles on my last set of michelins:ro)

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
eating front tires

front tires are getting chewed up ,rears look great, this is w/only 10,000 miles,i just cranked up torsion bars 2 turns [seems to help]i had to do this on my 02 also,, i thought gm aligned these trucks before we got them and ck'd fluids too[every fluid low],,this sucks i shouldn't have to buy new front tires this soon[yes i rotated them[at 4500 miles]

Did you have it aligned B4 or after cranking the bars , I know alot of people with 4x4 duallys and about 1/2 eat front tires and it seems the ones that do can't cure it , makes no sense , but... they Tow heavy and alot , just some info to hopefully help in the road to a correction.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
well lets see

you cranked the torsion bars up 2 turns..

Then you go to blame GM for not aligning it?

You think it could be that GM did algned them w/ the factory setting? Then once you tempered w/ the torsion bars it threw the alignment off?

Also I dunno about you,but i hear vehicles need to have alignments done ever once ina while cause soemtimes it gets thrown off.

don't be so quick to blame GM

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Trucks always tear up the front tires. There is no way to really align them right as the truck never runs the same way all the time. My truck has a snowplow, runs empty some times, pulls trailer with truck loaded, pulls tailer with truck empty, It never runs the same way when you get it aligned so the tires wear. I dont bother rotating tire why ruin 6 tires. I when the front wear I just replace them.

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
I got 45K miles out of my factory Goodyears with no problems or chewed up tires. They were rotated every 10K. I do tow a lot with the camper and boat. And heavy, as the camper weighs in at almost 2 1/2 tons. The boat on the trailer in tow is about 6500 pounds.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Dually's are always hard on front tires. I rotate every 4k miles when I change my oil. If I was driving straight down the highway I'm sure I could get 100K miles on mine too. But, when/if you do mixed driving with hard turns it scuffs off the edges. I usually try to turn slowly when I'm turning tight (in parking lots) that seems to help some. Go into a parking lot and turn your wheels all the way to one side then accelerate and watch the black marks on the concrete. There's alot of weight transfered onto those front tires, especially with a long box, crew cab like quite a few of us have.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I've had several dually and they all chewed or "Cupped" the front tires. I found it cheaper to run the front ones tell they vibrated so bad it drive me crazy and ran the same ones on the back all the time. I could get 100K out of a good set ont he back if I didn't rotate them.

I went to a road tire or steer tire on the fronts and that helped a lot. Much harder rubber on the road and a more aggresive tire on the back. No problems with mud or snow.

Also find a good alligment shop and just do it each year. I went each year no matter what. And the shop I went to would charge dependign on how much work it took. Good shop.

I am back to a srw truck b' I was sick of dually maintenance and the vibration that my last 02 dually had. It was driving my wife nuts. And since I don't want to ride in her f*rd I worked a new truck in 05.

I do miss the "big" dually.

·
Registered
12,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i went and ck'd alignment and by cranking bars 2 turns brought the toe in to spec's, , gm is sopossed too align these trucks,im told they crank the torsion bars down to load them on the transport trucks and most dealers don't pdi them right or are not told [im not trying to rip all dealers ,just the ones that dont do their job],, i had to fill all my fluid after i got my 02 dmax and the same thing with this 06, heck it only cost $50 g's so i guess nobody cares,,,, i hope gm gets things fixed before we all buy toyotas

·
Registered
2,641 Posts

·
Registered
954 Posts
again,i got over 100000 out of my last set of michelins.i tow heavier than most of you guys dream of (34000 gross)most of the time.you wanna talk about scrubbing tires.put a load on your truck like mine.back into a couple of parking spaces a day.plus the marina's with the huge rocks for drive ways.then talk to me about scrubbing tires.if the front tires are cupping it is usually because the shocks are bad,unless your cutting a bunch of circles in a parking lot your shocks are probably bad.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I have 17500 miles on a set of generals,no rotation or alignment,no cupping look as even as rears. I keep them inflated to factory inflation decal requirement

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm at 11,000 and no problems yet (replaced those CHEAP shocks with Rancho 9000's) I think the issue is the shocks. My dealer topped off fluids before I received the truck in Oct. I did have this problem with my 2000 Z71 after 60,000 miles

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
gm doesnt align thse trucks if you look at the upper control arms there is platic inserts that you have to take out to do an alignment. these just hold everything in place while the idiots on the assembly line can put it together. I havent seen one of these trucks with the fe even close to being in spec with these installed. also tire rotation and pressure is key to tire wear problems. and when you screw around with your torsion bars it will get worse.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
i went and ck'd alignment and by cranking bars 2 turns brought the toe in to spec's, , gm is sopossed too align these trucks,im told they crank the torsion bars down to load them on the transport trucks and most dealers don't pdi them right or are not told [im not trying to rip all dealers ,just the ones that dont do their job],, i had to fill all my fluid after i got my 02 dmax and the same thing with this 06, heck it only cost $50 g's so i guess nobody cares,,,, i hope gm gets things fixed before we all buy toyotas
I dont think this is true either gm doesnt crank up torsion bars for transport (I have been doing pdi's for a long time and there is no torsion bar adjustments at pdi yes the fluids are usually low though. believe me I know some people dont check anything (I work next to a guy like that) he pulls it in checks underhood fluids puts washer fluid in never lifts it and collects his 1.2hrs for it.(thats the stuff that pisses me off.)

·
Registered
144 Posts
I gotta agree with turfmower, you're never gonna keep these trucks in line if you are constantly changing the load. I tow hheavy half the time and Im empty the other half. Its easier for me to change front tires than to rotate or get it aligned. Last time I told my stealer to do an alignment when he had my truck, he said he had to take out the knockouts, and set it up on the machine [if its available], which would take about 3 hrs at $105 an hour, then start the alignment. what do you guys pay for alignment assuming you dont need any parts?

And if he was too busy he would send it to the guy around the block!!!!
What about my genuine GM service for $105 an hour!!!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts