3,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My rear bumper build, requirements as follows:
Make it heavy, since this is a rear wheel drive only vehicle
Stainless steel diamond tread, because that's what I like
Build it to the existing frame as much as possible, modify the frame as needed
Build it around the class 4 weight distribution hitch
Bolt the bumper to both the frame and distribution hitch for ultimate strength
Bolted not welded to the frame or hitch so I can remove it for modification or repair.
Aerodynamic profile better than the current disaster
Additional reverse light, because I am getting old.
Place for license plate
License plate light
Storage box for flat 4 connector
Make it look like a pickup step bumper because they are function and that is the style I like.

I built the front bumper with my home made 120v powered 105 amp transformer based tig and air cooled WP-17V torch. That build showed me the limit of the 105 amps machine. Fusion butt welding 1/4 inch stainless steel to its self was slightly above its limit.
This bumper is going to be all 1/4 to 1/4 minimum. I have collected a stock pile of 1/4 and 5/16 diamond tread and flat plate. All I am lacking is some pipe. There is a huge heavy pipe that has at least 1/4 inch walls at the scrap yard. Its too heavy for me to even move I will need to cut a section off it to make the rounded out side vertical edges of the bumper.
So I am eyeing my 230 amp craftsman welder that I converted to DC, to be further converted to tig (plug in a tig torch and its converted). Since the little WP17 series torch is limited to 150 amps and a 60% duty cycle and I hear it fails spectacularly at or above 200 amps. I am going to upgrade to a 350 amp water cooled WP18 torch which I ordered today for my big welder ($225 from cyberweld). Why do I need a 350 DC amp torch for 230 amps you may be wondering? Well it has a 250 amp AC rating, which is awful close to my 230 amp AC rating. AC is needed for aluminum. 105 amps AC on the WP17 torch is pretty much its limit, it heats up fast and burns up collets and it cant even really do 2mm thick aluminium.
I added about 60 pounds to my 1/4 inch and heavier to my stainless collection today. It should be enough to get started here pretty soon.
Here is my 1/4 and larger stainless collection so far. One more haul from the scrap yard and I will have more than enough.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Digging around in my garage I found a 12''x18'' section of 5/16 diamond tread I think this is one of the first pieces of diamond tread I ever bought I have had it for a long time. So long I forgot that I even had it.
I am pretty sure I have enough maybe even finish it.
But Cyberweld takes 4 to 7 days to process your order.
They were the only place that had the no kidding miller brand 25 foot long WP-18 tig torch with the high end hoses not the cheap rubber and a manual gas valve for anywhere near $225.

·
Ex- 6BT Square Body Man
9,754 Posts
:thumb: If it's anything like your front bumper build it should be good.

Reactions: oil pan 4

·
Registered
3,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Today at the scrap yard I got me a piece of that big 5 inch diameter 1/4 inch thick wall pipe I saw last week. It took a while but I cut it free with my hand held band saw.
A small section of this pipe will be used to make the rounded outer corner edges of the bumper.
Then I also found a flat 3/8 plate to make the ball hitch drop should I chose to make one.
That one little piece of pipe was $18. When that pipe was new I bet it was well over $100 per foot.
Now all I'm waiting on is a box from cyberweld.

Reactions: legendman

·
Registered
3,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Got the WP-18 torch coolant, gas and electrical connectors changed over to what I use.
1/4 inch air fitting = argon.
The large brass block with a tee connector with gauge, one touch 1/4 tube connector and miller plug is the power and coolant feed line.
The line that just has a one touch line connector is the coolant return.

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts