Diesel Place banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, was wondering if anyone knew much about these trucks or has had experience with them. We are going to be pulling a 44' trailer (kinda a race type rig) and thought it would serve the purpose well. We currently have a FL-60 pulling the 48' trailer and it work's great, but didn't need that much of a truck for this trailer. We are looking at a 4 door duramax with allison auto. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
845 Posts
Well I guess I could chime in on this a bit, but I would like more info to give ya an accurate response. Personally the 4500 come identical as does the Dmax/Alli combo in the pick-ups(except you can get 210 hp stead 300). The 4500 naturally weighs more, but they come with higher gvw's, but youll lose on overall pulling/power just moving the weight of the truck itself(as compared to say a 4 door dually pick-up)

The 5500's I think are equal to an F60- F70...Both run a Cat 3126...except now If im sure...GM is only running the 7.8L 6 cylinder in line(Poppa Dmax) motor in their Med. Duty trucks....Personally I would pull it with a Crew Cab Dually Pick-Up rather than a 4500...What is the weight of your trailer loaded? Broker or some guy claims to pull a 53' with a Dmax......But I wouldnt trust him as far as I could probably throw him

I can say I know a alot of people towing with dmax trucks, none have ever even thought of them being nothing but flawless....48' trailer is big, lot of air to push I think a 3500 could pull it just fine

Give some more info into weights etc and someone might be able to give a better response.

Bill

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well, the 48' has a hitch weight of about 15,000'lb's and weighs in from 25,000 and 30,000lb's, so with the truck and trailer we are pushing between 35,000-40,000lb's. The neck is full of a 5 ton AC unit, 27kw Diesel gen, 50 gallon diesel tank, 4 30lb propane bottles, 50 gallon fresh water tank, sewer holding tank's, 2 spare tires, and other odd's and ends. So yea, the 350's couldn't handle this trailer. However, the 44' is much lighter. We first pulled it with a Ford F-350 and the brakes we nowhere near enough We also snaped an overload bracket off twice. As we were selling the truck the exle housing had a crack in it. We then stepped up to a 550 and the brakes once again were the downfall. I think the weight on the 44' is 22,000 - 25,000lb's.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts