Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone think or know if Chevy or GMC will go through a styling change again for '05??? It used to be 5 years before any drastic changes occur, but the '01 and '02 DMAX did not last long, but it was basically the same body style since '99 (4-years).

I was watching car & driver last weekend and they tested several trucks (gassers) and 1 was a '04 Silverado. It came in last with the comment that it was outdated styling and the interior was not up to fresh standards etc. Made me wonder given all the ads about Chevy coming out with 10-12 new models in next 22 months. Maybe one of those will be a revamped Chevy or GMC 2500 body style. I know some are the SSR and new Corvette and new mid size pickup etc., but they have not shown all of them yet. Maybe I am just being optimistic.

The '05's should be on the lots in about 8-9 months, probably not enough time to make a change unless they already planned it some time ago. I remember when the '03 came out and a lot of people thought they were ugly, but now they kind of grow on you. Hopefully the '05 will be something diffferent.

Been thinking about the '04, but maybe I should wait to see what the '05 looks like. Nothing wrong with my '01 at 35,890 miles, just getting that new truck fever........take 2 aspirins and call dealer in October is probably good advice! LOL

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
Not likely. 88-98= 10 years. I would say the current styling has a few more years.

Ford was 97-03 so they were only 6 years.

I can't stand those guys on car and driver.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Max Power said:
Not likely. 88-98= 10 years. I would say the current styling has a few more years.

Ford was 97-03 so they were only 6 years.

I can't stand those guys on car and driver.

Yeah, but like Chevysrus pointed out, '99-'02, then the current face lift and interior re-do. Everyone wonders why these trucks are so damned expensive. Re-tooling for even minor modifications costs $$$. That translates directly to higher prices for the consumer.

Don't get me wrong, it's definitley cool to have change, but ultimately its costing us. But I'll shut up, 'cuz I got rid of my '01 for an '03...

Ty

·
Registered
227 Posts
Having the latest and greatest model is really neat. But, if the new model is drastically better than the one it replaces, it can have a tendency to push down the value of the outgoing model. I had a 2001 Silverado, then moved to a 2003 Silverado HD. At first I wasn't taken back by the look of the 2003, but it can grow on you. If the 2003 had been a knock down drag out absolutely gotta have truck, it could have potentially dropped the value more on the 1999-2002 trucks.

Look at when the Tahoe/Suburban/Yukon came out in 2000. By early 2001, the resale was really coming down quick on the pre 2000 models.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
On page 36 of the March issue of Motor Trend there is a picture of the 2006 Chevy Tahoe. It's very boxy and big bumpered in the front with big headlights no longer split through the middle. I wonder if other GM trucks will take on this kind of styling.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Hopefully GM will start making 4x4's actually look like 4X4's!
We probably arent that lucky though!

Hey Chevyrus, how those tires holding up? Edited by: bybycop

·
Registered
91 Posts
I used to be pretty close to the automotive industry as I worked in engineering for a large tier 1 supplier for 10+ years. Being a car/truck addict, this position suited me well and I usually either knew first hand or had contacts at the OEM that could give me a general heads up on design and styling changes. I miss that job.....
. Oh well, get over it, right? I am grateful to have a job at this point!

Anyway - based on your question - at least the Chevy's got refresh for '03. I really prefer the GMC over the Chevy (I know, they are almost identical) but went with a Chevy this time around as at least they had the new front end and sincerely think that GMC should be seeing a refresh of the front-end probably in '05. Regardless, the bottom line is that looks do sell. The '03/'04 Chevy "looks" translate into a newer model. The '03/'04 GMC "looks" translate to "old model" for many people. I did not want to get stuck with an "old model" looking GMC if for no other reason than re-sale purposes. I know it sounds like I am splitting hairs at this point - but just one of only a couple of reasons I had for deviating from a GMC to a Chevy this time around.

I am guessing that the new front-end on the Sierra will look something like the GMC Canyon - which is a pretty sweet looking truck for its size.

FWIW.... my ten cents!Edited by: BKG-22

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
The reason I went with GMC is the change Chevy did in '03. Just too ugly for my taste. Besides, the local Chevy dealer had no stock and the GMC dealer had what I wanted on the lot and was willing to deal so I looked no further.

·
Registered
286 Posts
That was also my reason for the GMC. The Jack-O-Lantern front end on the Chevrolet takes some getting used to. Might be fun on Holloween
if it was painted orange.

·
Registered
6,097 Posts
The new version of the Silverado isn't due until 2008 through what I have read and it isn't part of the 10 Chevrolets in 20 months. They are:

Aveo, Cobalt, Colorado, Corvette, Equinox, HHR, Impala, Malibu/Malibu Maxx, SSR, and Uplander.

I was hoping the Camaro was going to be a part of that, recent news points to a possible Camaro in 2007 based off of the GTO chassis, but will look nothing like the GTO.Edited by: Reineke

·
Registered
132 Posts
You know what they say---"opinions are like a** H***s, everybodies got one! Well IMHO the 2004 CHEVY looks great! I love the headlights. My wife says they look mean. From the reaction I get when passing furds and durdges , this opinion must be shared by many!----------------Phil
!!

·
Registered
994 Posts
06 will be a total re-do with production starting in july or Aug of 05

Will that be the entire product line or just the 1500 series?

There are some pretty drastic diesel emission standards taking place in 2007. Would be nice to get a new truck (and new body style) before this happens.Edited by: OC_DMAX

·
Registered
218 Posts
If GM had a full size truck that looked like the Canyon I'd be ordering one right now. That truck looks like a truck, not a station wagon with a truck bed. My truck is ugly period, I've said it from the day I ordered it. The performance has totally caught me by surprise. I never thought this GMC would work as well as my Fords for towing etc. It not only works as well but better. I decided not to trust Ford on a first year intro on the 6.0 and that's why I ordered the GMC. I still can't believe the 6.0 turned into the mess it did, I thought it would be a few issues here and there and they'd straighten them out on the 04's. Guess I'll be looking at the 06 GM's unless the Dodges hammer the field.

·
Registered
747 Posts
I just hope the General decides to put the dmax in a suburban by '06. My wife's blazer will probably be getting replaced by an '06 sub and I would really like to have the dmax option available in them.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I just bought a new 04 crew cab and the dealer told me that there will be a new body style in 06.

·
Registered
570 Posts
ktb66062,

Congrats and welcome.

Have any picks of your truck?

·
Registered
534 Posts
CRUSHER Posted:
<font color="blue">"Well IMHO the 2004 CHEVY looks great! I love the headlights. My wife says they look mean. From the reaction I get when passing furds and durdges , this opinion must be shared by many!"</font>

Hey all,

I still love the looks of my 02. Personally, I did not like the look
when Chevy moved to the "serpent head" avalanche front profile.

Then again...... lots of folks covet the styling of the 03-04s Chevy's

I plan on keeping my 02 for a long time. It really is a good looking truck!

·
Registered
398 Posts
I like the looks of the 2003-2004 Chevys, they look Pissed Off.

It did take awhile to grow on me though.

·
Registered
958 Posts
I agree, the '01/02 Chevy HD's are the best looking trucks out there. I really didn't care for the looks of the '03 Silverado until I saw one lifted, which for some reason actually makes them look good, IMHO. No regrets anymore, I'm used to the '03 styling and like it now, just not as much as I liked my '02 front end.

Gotta say though, the headlights AND foglights work much better on the '03.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts