Diesel Place banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While installing my B&W Hitch, the curiosity was killing me. Would my old Chevy Blazer gas tank make a good auxiliary diesel tank?

While the spare tire was down, I removed the tire holder (the cable mechanism that lifts/lowers and 'stores' your spare tire), and with a floor jack, tried it for fitness. Looks like a great fit. Now, I have more questions than answers...

Will a steel tank last with diesel fuel?

Or should I coat the inside with a sealer kit?

Will a Lift pump suffice or should I get an "in the tank" fuel pump off a newer fuel injected Blazer?

The tank is about 11/2'' (inches) taller (thicker) than the spare tire, so it only hangs down that much more. Since it would be diesel fuel in it, a rear-end collision doesn't worry me (explosion/fire hazzard), besides, you're no more at risk than a Blazer would be.

Attachments

·
Registered
246 Posts
Cool idea. Have you decided where to carry the spare. That's my problem- I haul stuff in the bed and think the "continental" look on the tailgate would look silly. And what with engine temps - up front probably wouldn't work!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Will a steel tank last with diesel fuel?

Or should I coat the inside with a sealer kit?
Steel tanks will be fine with diesel in them, up until the mid/late 90's when everything started to go plastic all diesel tanks were steel.. What I'd be worried about back there would be the outside of the tank. Ford used to put a rear tank in that same location up until '96 and they really rust out bad.

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Steel tanks will be fine with diesel in them, up until the mid/late 90's when everything started to go plastic all diesel tanks were steel.. What I'd be worried about back there would be the outside of the tank. Ford used to put a rear tank in that same location up until '96 and they really rust out bad.
That could be easily remedied with some undercoating or a coating of Line-X.

Yes, carrying the spare could be a problem for some. For those, I suggest one of the extra capacity tanks. That extra $600.00 for 9 or 10 gallons more capacity is the expense I was trying to avoid! Now I'll have 32 gallons extra at a cost of about $120.00 +/- (switching valve or transfer pump, depending what I decide). I would just throw the spare in the back or on top of what I was hauling.

·
Registered
221 Posts
what year blazer was it off of? Good idea, i was looking at doing the same thing.

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
what year blazer was it off of? Good idea, i was looking at doing the same thing.
I have two of them... One off a 1978 and another off a 1986. Both are nearly identical. These are of the full size variety Blazers, (not the S-10).

·
Registered
221 Posts
cool thanks. Have you did the install yet?,and what parts did you use, and how did you tie it into the factory fuel system?

·
Registered
205 Posts
Why not just use the Blazer Tank Skid plate as well.

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
Diesel Suburban Fuel Tank

Here is a new 42 Gallon fuel tank for a 1992-96 Diesel Suburban. ($231.95 + 35.00 shipping)
http://www.1aauto.com/1A/GasTanks/ChevyTruck/Suburban/GM43B/8825

It's DOT and SAE approved.

This one may be a better choice since it is already designed to go behind the rear axle on a 1974-81 Suburban.

http://www.1aauto.com/1A/GasTanks/ChevyTruck/Suburban/GM25A/8599

You could use the Diesel Suburban fuel sending unit and an in-line electric lift pump.

Does anyone know if this will fit in the spare tire location on a 2006 2500HD Short Bed? Can I use the Suburban tank straps to hold it in place?

This sure beats paying $800 + shipping for a TransferFlow replacement tank and it would give you a total fuel capacity of 68 gallons (26+42)

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
cool thanks. Have you did the install yet?,and what parts did you use, and how did you tie it into the factory fuel system?
No, I have not installed it yet. I am thinking of tapping into the stock filler neck and using a lift pump to transfer fuel from the blazer tank to my factory tank. I have not seen where anyone has successfully installed an additional tank and tied it into the factory fuel gauge etc. (like the old auxiliary tank systems). I was hoping someone would chime in that has done this. I guess I'm the first one that will attempt?

If I could find a factory diesel tank I could get the sending unit/fuel pump from, I would tie it into the factory system. Anyone have a spare to donate/sell me?

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Here is a new 42 Gallon fuel tank for a 1992-96 Diesel Suburban. ($231.95 + 35.00 shipping)
http://www.1aauto.com/1A/GasTanks/ChevyTruck/Suburban/GM43B/8825

It's DOT and SAE approved.

This one may be a better choice since it is already designed to go behind the rear axle on a 1974-81 Suburban.

http://www.1aauto.com/1A/GasTanks/ChevyTruck/Suburban/GM25A/8599

You could use the Diesel Suburban fuel sending unit and an in-line electric lift pump.

Does anyone know if this will fit in the spare tire location on a 2006 2500HD Short Bed? Can I use the Suburban tank straps to hold it in place?

This sure beats paying $800 + shipping for a TransferFlow replacement tank and it would give you a total fuel capacity of 68 gallons (26+42)
The full size Blazer and Suburban tanks are the same... If you find a 42 gallon Blazer tank, It will be the same. The thing that concerns me with the 42 gallon tank is the fact it is about 4 inches thicker. The 32 gallon already hangs down about 2 inches more than the spare tire, (not to mention I already have the 32 gallon ones on hand).

Will the old diesel Sububan sending unit work with our new trucks?

Yes, it will fit in the short bed's spare tire location... That's what my truck is.

Yes, it's way better than paying $800.00, and I can live with just 58 gallons. ;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.