1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
GM needs to get in the light(er) duty diesel market. IMO the first to market with it will have a gold mine. If they had a small (6 cyl) fuel efficient diesel motor in 1/2 tons, suburbans etc they would sell a lot. I think the majority of diesel buyers now use their trucks as cars. 30mpg in a 1/2 ton with a good ride, seating for 6 and a 6 foot box out back would appeal to a lot of people.

·
Registered
909 Posts
That would be sweet, getting 25 to 30mpg. The only downside would be diesel fuel stations getting busy with commoners.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
I'll keep my eyes open. I fuel at the same station. If you can get more info from the guy on TDI. Color, 4x2 or 4x4, cab box config, etc.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Frod is talking about a new V6 diesel (Cummins?) for their 2006 F-150. The article I read said that Frod wanted to be the first to put diesel power in their 1/2 ton trucks. I'm sure that GM has something planned.

·
Registered
479 Posts
well - for those of you interested, he was probably buying kerosene for his garage heater. At fleet farm (where I buy all my diesel) they have the kero pumps right by the diesel pumps.

I really really doubt it was a 1500 diesel...

·
Registered
509 Posts
Ford is also talking about putting the lil V6 in something the size of the Explorer. I agree, the first out with a diesel 1/2 ton will make a mint!! Sure would like to see the 2500 Suburban get the D/A. That would be sweet!!!!

·
Registered
197 Posts
Ray403Dmax said:
That would be sweet, getting 25 to 30mpg. The only downside would be diesel fuel stations getting busy with commoners.
... and then there would be a stonger demand for cleaner diesel fuel and more diesel pumps. Wouldn't that be nice

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
The Cold Start Knock phenomenon common with the new gassers was probably the noise the guy was hearing thinking it was a diesel.
Edited by: Minn-Kota

·
Registered
9,300 Posts
It wasnt a diesel its just that dam annoying piston slap the gassers have. Mine had it so loud it wont the neighbors when I fired her up in the am.

Chevy changed its moto to Like a Knock.

The piston slap cost me 12k so I have the right to *****.

·
Registered
21 Posts
So, the article on the TDI forum mentions that "All the markings on the truck was 1500". Last I checked, 2004 Chevy's and GMC's don't have 1500 logos. Sounds like wishful thinking to me.

wd

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
1500HD's have a logo don't they?

·
Registered
845 Posts
Gm does have a 6 cylinder baby-baby- Duramax. They were made, GM does have em'. Just the factory is waiting for the go-ahead....Which may never happen. Someone here confirmed this before.

For those who had the pleasure of driving or owning a 1/2 ton diesel(only the 6.2) They were one hell of a pickup. Id spend 40K to get a half ton stepside 4x4 diesel, with a snow plow prep right now. Plow like an SOB.

Bill

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
Doesn't mean they didn't stick some on

·
Registered
21 Posts
Max Power said:
Doesn't mean they didn't stick some on

Yeah yeah!
And perhaps a 2500HD owner has rebadged his/her truck. I'd say that's more likely than GM adding a diesel and 1500 cladding to an '04 truck. Of course, I wonder how the original poster KNEW that the rig in question was an '04?

I'd love to see a half-ton diesel, but I won't get my hopes up. I expect we'll see the duramax in suburbans and H2's before we see a half-ton variant.

wd

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
But if they get a smaller diesel in a 1/2 ton first it would be easy to drop it in a sub. I though the main reason the duramax wasn't in a sub is because there is no room for alli. Who knows, its all speculation anyways. I sure would like to see it however! While we're dreaming we might as well hope for 400hp and 40mpg too
If they do that I will buy 3.

·
Registered
692 Posts
i have never heard of a baby d/max your all crazy....it would be cool but doubt very much it will happen...as far as piston slap i have yet to see any damage from the carbon yet people keep bichin about itwhen there is nothing wrong...there is a fix gm wont approve.i toyed with on once and found a way to get rid of the noise using gm top engine cleaner...yet not how it is directed to be used....

·
Registered
909 Posts
The baby Dmax has been talked about for years. Slice off two Dmax cylinders and you have about 5 liters. I'd think it would be more quiet than the 6.6L, not louder as was observed. Maybe it isn't an Isuzu?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts