Diesel Place banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about ordering the XM radio. Is it worth the monthly fee? I like all kinds of muisc and sports talk. Good programming? Recepetion problems?

·
Registered
129 Posts
I've been an XM subscriber since shortly after they went on air and I love it. I also have a unit in my house. 40,000-50,000 miles a year on the road is another reason to love it.

·
Registered
473 Posts
When we got our 03 Tahoe it had XM Radio in it. The DMax didn't. I liked the XM so well that I had an aftermarket installed. And you get a discount on the second unit. The only problem with the Aftermarket is you can't tune it from the steering wheel. My opinon is XM Radio is worth it if you travel a lot!!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I tried the XM on the free trial in my '03. I haven't listened to anything else since. Lots to choose from and great sound.

·
Registered
457 Posts
I also have a couple questions on the XM Radio.

If you order the truck with XM Radio and switch out the stock radio for an aftermarket unit equipped with XM Radio can you still use the oem XM Radio antenna and connection in the dash?

About the radio in general, again if you swap out the factory unit for an aftermarket one do they offer any type of conversion so you can still reuse the steering wheel controls?

·
Registered
958 Posts
I just had the Delphi unit installed on Tuesday, FM modulated, I love it! Haven't listened to anything else since..

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
What options are there for trucks that did not come with XM?

Is there a way I can take it from truck to truck or do I need to get 2 units?

·
Registered
341 Posts
I LOVE my XM!

5000 mile round trip, I drove my wife bonkers listening to the sports stations...

And a question:

I have factory XM with the Bose stereo and steering wheel controls. The stereo is pretty lame for having the name "Bose" on it, and I'd like to upgrade.

Will the steering wheel buttons work with an aftermarket radio with XM built in, just like the stock radio?Edited by: conradv

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
conradv said:
I LOVE my XM!

5000 mile round trip, I drove my wife bonkers listening to the sports stations...

And a question:

I have factory XM with the Bose stereo and steering wheel controls. The stereo is pretty lame for having the name "Bose" on it, and I'd like to upgrade.

Will the steering wheel buttons work with an aftermarket radio with XM built in, just like the stock radio?

Can be done yes. http://www.pac-audio.com/index.asp

You also need a module for the on-star and door chime. If you have the 6 disc changer with xm, and want to sell it please let me know.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Max, I've been told that the stereo "mates" itself to the vehicle it comes in now and will not work in other vehicles or that might be just the Xm part of the radio.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I can only echo what everyone else said about the quality of the XM radio. I wasn't really sure at first, but it didn't take more than a couple of days with the preview and I was hooked. At least with the factory installed option it is "near" CD quality sound (I think a little freq response is lost with the FM modulated version...i.e., aftermarket hook in through FM antenna).

As for reception, it has been excellent. I do a lot of rummaging around out in the boonies hunting, fishing, and ATVing here in CO, and I really have to be in the bottom of an exceptionally deep, dark canyon with the truck oriented such that the antenna is directly next to a VERY steep southern canyon wall before it will cut out (and then only occassionally for a second or two). I had wondered about this initially, but thus far have been absolutely impressed.

·
Registered
747 Posts
BukWild said:
Max, I've been told that the stereo "mates" itself to the vehicle it comes in now and will not work in other vehicles or that might be just the Xm part of the radio.

Tech @ local dealership told me that you would have to bring it in and have the radio reprogrammed to work if you install it in a vehicle other than the original.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I'll tell you how much I like it.....the wife's 03 Suburban has XM and after taking a 1500 mile trip last weekend I don't want to take my truck anymore on trips.

And that is saying alot because before the Suburban I would never take her old car (little SUV) on long trips, I always wanted to take the truck!!!

Reception problems, very few, only in the deep valleys and some highway cuts (right beside a cliff).

Edited by: MABurns

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have the XM and Love it it dropped out once going through the tunnel on I-70 through Loveland Pass! Hand's down its the best investment to date because I can always find something interesting to listen too keeps me awake when I drive at night.

Greg

1 - 15 of 15 Posts