Diesel Place banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Very interesting story. I never heard about it before and I never thought that we would be seeing a hybrid full size pickup truck anytime soon, until after I read this article. Quite a surprise to me.

However I see some pros and cons about hybrid vehicle. The biggest advantage would be fuel economy, for sure. Also less environmental pollution so we have cleaner air. But what would be my concern is; will the hybrid trucks still give out at least the same amount of power as the current ones are? Secondly, do the hybrid system add more weight to the vehicle (such as batteries, electric starter, etc etc), which mean you have less available load capacity to carry/haul?

As usual the new prototype would have some problems during the first few years of manufacturing, but after that they should have the bugs ironed out (like when Allison became available in 2001, if I am correct). So what I meant by that is in most case I would not buy the new prototype until after being in the market for a few years. Of course, someone still would have to buy them so that way over time the manufacturers will learn from their customers about some bugs and have it fixed for the next model year. Edited by: wxmn6

·
Registered
909 Posts
You pay a premium when you buy the technology and then the batteries last about 8 years or so and are substantial to replace. I think the little Toyota Prius batteries run about $3k to $4k. They say over time the prices should come down, but that probably assumes hybrid technology becomes much more common.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts