Diesel Place banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a 2005 equinox that is having a starter problem. I have had it to the stealer for this among many other problems several times since new, but now out of warranty so maybe the GM tecchies here can help me. When she tries to start it, usually after it has been run during the day the starter acts like its dragging but the engine doesn't fire. It might do this for 3 or four seconds and then it stops, you retry it and it might do it again, or it might start, always starts after the third time. The starting system in this thing is a little goofy anyway, seems like it has a delay, I dunno like it waits on a relay or something. Thanks in advance for any ideas. p.s. hurry she is not happy therefore no one can be happy:(

·
Registered
414 Posts
just bought my wife and equinox...haven't had that issue .....what other probs have you had??

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
sounds kinda normal ther may be a recalibration for a hard start after a hot soak. make sure the throttle body is clean the electronic TB is sensative to build up. I dont like the way they act either you can let off the key and it will crank for a certain amount of time if it doesnt start right away.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
my g/f bought an 06 and she loves it. You might be able to bring it back to the dealer even if its out of warranty since they tried to fix it before. Or they should be able to GOOD WILL WARRANTY it for you. I had like 45,000 on a previous truck, and they good will warrantied it for me. But since they tried to fix it before, and your warrany is out, I would think they would try it again. Good luck

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
My sister had the same problem in her 05 & GM couldn't get it fixed right at first. Then her car lost a TC bolt & it lodge in between the flywheel & starter. GM replaced the starter & flwheel under warranty, that is how she fixed her starting problem. I know this dosen't help you but she got lucky with the new starter, the problems haven't resurfaced.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think I'll probably try the starter, it just seems like more of an electrical prob because when it hangs up there is no fire. I need to go get the stealer motivated this week and we'll see what happens. Keep scratchin your heads guys, thanks.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
my g/f has been noticing a thumping sound when she starts it up sometimes. dealer said it was from EVAP vent solenoid and was normal. anybody have this problem, or heard of it?

·
Registered
60 Posts
We have an 05 Equinox. My wife complained about that thumping noise for a long time before I ever heard it. I didn't know what it was for sure but I knew it had to be some type of valve closing.
If you have an early 05 watch the coolant, make sure it doesn't turn brown and start to smell like rotten fish. There is a TSB on this to replace all the cooling system hoses. The hoses were not built to specs and break down causing the odor and discoloration. That is the only issue that we have had--other than poor mileage. There is also a TSB for that--if you have bad shift flare it smooths it out, it help a little.

Steve S.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Might be the camshaft sensor. If it's out it will mess up the ignition firing order on cranking so the engine won't start and loads up. As long as you don't shut it off the engine control will try the next possible firing order for the recieved crank signal. There are three on a V6. For some reason it's always the last try (third crank) that gets it right. You should see a CEL or notice no tachometer signal when cranking with no start.

Vernon

·
Registered
78 Posts
I have 05 equinox 48000 miles on it 2 sets of tires 1 wheel bearing 1windshield wiper motor later and needs 3rd set of tire know it might be ok for alittle while!!!

·
Registered
263 Posts
I'm pretty sure there is an updated calibration matching this similar concern.

Bad hoses causing the nasty coolant! Ha! I blame those stuipd tablets they put in the coolant.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts