Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do I know if the factory filled it properly?

On the back side of the pumpkin there is a nut. If I loosen it will fluid drain out? Do I put my finger in to check the level? Eyeball it?

Thanks

·
Registered
251 Posts
The level should be towards the bottom of the hole on level ground, if it runs out when you loosen the plug its full. Mine was over a quart low. Add 75-90wt Synthetic, like Mobil1 gear lube. Edited by: dslbrnr

·
Registered
490 Posts
I just changed mine out last week at 5600 miles. Only 2 quarts came out. So much for "Dealer Prep".

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This really does SUCK...

I bought a quart. Poured it in and it stiil isn't full. WTF

Are the rearends filled at the dealer or by Eaton?

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
LongBiker said:
Are the rearends filled at the dealer or by Eaton?

The factory leaves a number of things, shall we say, needing to be done?

The idea is that it's easier for the dealer to correct minor fit, flaws, fluid levels etc. than it is the factory. Translation, it's cheaper. GM pays the dealers to do what's known as a PDI, or Pre-delivery Inspection. It's a very small amount and fixed per unit. So the dealer is supposed to go through and check all the fluid levels, check the fit of the doors, etc. just give it a once over.

Since they don't usually get back what it costs them to do these, some dealers don't push it too much, and if the guy doing the PDI's is one of the newer or less "dedicated" folks in the place, well you can see where the problem is.

So to answer your question, your dealer screwed up.

·
Registered
490 Posts
1.Leave out 2 quarts of $25 a quart rear end fluid in 1 million vehicles.
2.Let the dealer prep the vehicle and fill fluids to proper levels.(Or Not!)
3. Profit $50 Million, give CEO big raise, give guy who came up with idea, baseball tickets.Edited by: Pick

·
Registered
288 Posts
JUST PICKED UP TRUCK 12/29, MENTIONED TO PREP MAN TO PLEASE CHECK REAR OIL . GOT A LOOK LIKE WHAT THE HELL AM I TAKING ABOUT. WHEN I WENT BACK TO GET TRUCK HE CAME UP TO ME AND THANKED ME , SAID REAR WAS 2 QUARTS LOW. ALSO HAD HIM CHECK GREASE IN FRONT SUSPENSION KIND OF DRY THERE TOO. SO IT SURE LOOKS LIKE THEY DONT FILL THINGS UP RIGHT.

·
Banned
2,067 Posts
Nice thing about the new truck is that it has both front and rear fill and drain plugs The drain plugs are even magnetic. No gasket change, what a relief. Just changed both ends to Mobil One 75-90 Full synthetic. After driving it I am sure it will pay for itself in gas milage.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I thought I saw on a post that the 3500 (1 ton) used a differant wt fluid in the front and rear than the 2500's do. is this correct ? just curious.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Pick, what you say is exactly what I was thinking. Maybe GM should use a less expensive rear end fluid and possibly they would be more prone to fill the pumpkin when built. Mine was 1.9 quarts low when I picked it up. That can't be good, and if not for this site I would have run it for I don't know how long before becomming aware ( maybe 5000 mi.) Edited by: EXPSDOWN

·
Registered
65 Posts
AkDually61 said:
I thought I saw on a post that the 3500 (1 ton) used a differant wt fluid in the front and rear than the 2500's do. is this correct ? just curious.

That's the C3500HD (cab chassis) I believe.

·
Registered
227 Posts
When I check my fluid, I have a wire that I use to check it. I took a piece of number 12 romex (household wiring) and stripped out about a 6 inch piece of the white wire from the cable. About an inch up the wire it put a 90 degree bend in it with the vise. It works perfect to insert it into the filler hole, pull it out, and read it like a dipstick for the crankcase.

BTW, the fluid level in my 2003 was fine.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I changed mine two weeks ago, and it was about 1-1/2 qts low as well. Seems like a common thread... :-(

Tim

·
Registered
43 Posts
related:It's -33 celcius here last few nights.Front diff. seems super stiff. It's like the brakes are on on the front so i goes to my dealer to inquire about thinner oil like sinthetic.They proceed to tell me that GM is currently changing oil to sinthetic under warranty.Nice to know.My duramax is going to the hospital in the am. for a transfusion.

·
Registered
43 Posts
JIMPRU,TSB 03-04-19-001

·
Registered
36 Posts
LARSONEM said:
When I check my fluid, I have a wire that I use to check it. I took a piece of number 12 romex (household wiring) and stripped out about a 6 inch piece of the white wire from the cable. About an inch up the wire it put a 90 degree bend in it with the vise. It works perfect to insert it into the filler hole, pull it out, and read it like a dipstick for the crankcase.

BTW, the fluid level in my 2003 was fine.

I've gotton to know one of my local techs over the past few years (not due to problems). I explained to him that I have been reading on the site and asked him about the rear end level stuff. He explained the tollerance measurement GM has for the fluid level. Thanks for the idea Larsonem!!! I made one also, checked my two week old "04" and it was within GM specs on the low end. I added about 3/4 of a quart to take it to the top of the specs which is still not flowing out of the opening.........

Warden

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
What's the spec on fill level for the front and the rear, upper and lower spec?

·
Registered
6,504 Posts
srode, I don't recall the front diff offhand, but remember the rear diff is 3.78 qts (which puts the level about 1/2" below the fill hole.) I put close to 4 qts in my front last change and got a bit of overflow from the fill hole. Basically, it's 4 qts for both, as many folks fill the rear to the hole.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts