Diesel Place banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got to se those flashing blue lights aiming right at me for the first time last week. No ticket, not even a warning, just a "Can i see your Licence, insurance, and registration please?" and after that he just said "I pulled you over because your trailer lights are out, get 'em fixed and have a nice day" Went as well as getting pulled over could i guess.

Wake up call for me, figrued i should warn some of you guys.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I always make sure trailer lights are working. Guess I'm just paranoid about it. I will use friends trailer's that are jacked up and end up rewiring them most of the time just so the lights work.

·
Registered
232 Posts
There is no excuse for trailer lights not to be working. That should be part of the pre-trip check to ensure that they are working. I see it way to often that trailer lights aren't working and I blame the driver for not checking before he leaves. When I talk not working I mean none of them are working. Turn signals, break or running lights. I know what you are thinking, that he forgot to hook them up but on passing them I see the cable is plugged in. I try to inform them when I pass, but I have yet to see anyone pull over and take a look. I would not tow a trailer that the lights were not working on unless it was to the shop to get fixed and then there would be a sign stating that the lights did not work to warn other drivers.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Just this week alone i have been asked to tow many things for friends. boats (4) trailors (3) and i always ask " does it have a up to date plate and do the lights work" ? i get a yes and i go to help. guess what? ALL of them eather did not have a plate or the wiring was a mess :mad: so i tell them to fix the problem and call me back...........still no calls :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
586 Posts
Every time I hook up check brakes / breakaway system & lights on trailer. I will not haul other peoples trailers unless everything above is working properly. anytime I stop I check trailer lights as well.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Every time I tow I check before I start towing and I check everytime I stop. I it only takes a second and it gives me peace of mind.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Lights, brakes, safety chains, etc. are all part of a common sense pre-trip checklist. Sounds so basic, but I too know many that just hitch up and hit the road. I think that should be an automatic ticket and a steep one, no excuses. It is unsafe and completely unnecessary risk.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I made a sharp turn and the best i can figure is that it pulled the wire out, i know they worked when i left. I always check lights, brakes, chains, straps etc....

And then the one time it falls out:mad:

·
Registered
3,654 Posts
I got to se those flashing blue lights aiming right at me for the first time last week. No ticket, not even a warning, just a "Can i see your Licence, insurance, and registration please?" and after that he just said "I pulled you over because your trailer lights are out, get 'em fixed and have a nice day" Went as well as getting pulled over could i guess.

Wake up call for me, figrued i should warn some of you guys.

You got off from a ticket that could have gotten the state of MI some stupid expensive fine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Wow congrats.

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
There is no excuse for trailer lights not to be working. That should be part of the pre-trip check to ensure that they are working. I see it way to often that trailer lights aren't working and I blame the driver for not checking before he leaves. When I talk not working I mean none of them are working. Turn signals, break or running lights. I know what you are thinking, that he forgot to hook them up but on passing them I see the cable is plugged in. I try to inform them when I pass, but I have yet to see anyone pull over and take a look. I would not tow a trailer that the lights were not working on unless it was to the shop to get fixed and then there would be a sign stating that the lights did not work to warn other drivers.

X2

·
Registered
428 Posts
Every stop I make, first thing I do is put my hand on the axles to feel the bearings to make sure they're not hot, then it's one trip around the trailer from tongue around to tongue and then around the truck, back bumper around to back bumper.

Then again, I ran a trucking company so pre-trips and "during" trips are second nature to me.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I have 6 trailers total. And this past 2 weeks have been rough. We got a $133 ticket last week from my new trailer. The trialer lights worked fine its on the morning check list. Got pulled over and i got out looked and was missing a light????? they held on by some crazy rubber gasket thing. and just fell off. Officer said see you in court to make sure its fixed wrote me a ticket and walked off. Then my other traler blew a tire and busted a light then my last trailer just lost brakes lights whole 9 yards. So 3 are down. I need a trailer repair store.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Thats right Lazydog, but most people's pretrip inspection consists of making sure they have their celphone!

·
Registered
232 Posts
landscaper, sorry to here about your luck.
How does that old saying go, 'if it weren't for bad luck I'd have no luck at all....'
:joke:

·
Registered
155 Posts
It is handy to have a brake controller that shows your connectivity - of course if you have a small trailer w/no controller frequent checks work.

I also have used a tie wrap to secure the electrical connection on a longer (not local) trip, which helps the wiggling loose and loss of connectivity.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts