Diesel Place banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While re-installling my drive shaft with greasable joints, I decided to check out a few other things and noticed I could move the rear tires up and down with a noticable clunk. Removed axle and sure enough the axle bearing nut was too loose. Re-adjusted per service manual procedure and all is good. Can't help but think this may be the reason for pre-mature axle seal failure on the one ton axle. Proceedure is to tighten nut to 50 ftlbs while rotating the wheel counter clockwise and then back off the nut until it is finger tight and lines up with lock slot, or back off to the next looser slot if it doesn't line up.

·
Registered
281 Posts
My rear wheel seal is leaking as well. Do you need a special spindle nut socket?? I have not had a chance to remove the axle to take a look.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
T.O.D. Yes, you do need need a special socket, but I just winged it with stork long nose pliers and a bar. I didn't actually pull 50 ftlbs but it was close enough to get the play out without making it too tight. GMCSid or DmaxalliTech I'm sure could post the actual procedure from the GM site, but I'd have to scan it in and then load it as an image and by then you can't read it. If you pull it apart to do the seal it will all make sense.

Just noticed yours is a 2500, not sure if that has full floating axles like the one ton. If it doesn't then there is no adjustment.Edited by: Dr Crane

·
Registered
203 Posts
Same basic axle as a 1 ton. And the sockets are only $25-30 or so (at least that's what I paid for my old C14FF)

·
Registered
281 Posts
Thanks for the input Dr. and BD.

I will pull the axle this weekend and see if I can get it done with the spindle nut sockets collection I already have, I might get lucky!

If not I'll just use the trusty chisel and hammer................

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The Original Diesel said:
If not I'll just use the trusty chisel and hammer................

Now that's just plain crude!!!!

The thought crossed my mind but I couldn't do it, and if I did I wouldn't admit to it !!

·
Registered
5,166 Posts
I did a front axle with manual hubs with a screw driver and my linesman pliers, talk about hacking

1 - 7 of 7 Posts