Diesel Place banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On average, 3 out of 4 times I fire up my truck, within the past week, it has told me to check my oil. I have EVERY TIME just because I'm like that. I've got a full pan sitting in there... should this be going on with a truck with less than 3300 miles on it? I'm almost considering changing the oil along with the diff's fluid just because of stuff I have heard about low fluid levels and general wear-in of components.

Any recommendations anyone has are extremely appreciated and encouraged.

Drive safe!

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
Could be a bad sensor. Take it to the dealer, should be an easy fix.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Max Power said:
Could be a bad sensor. Take it to the dealer, should be an easy fix.

Or you could just keep adding oil, a quart at a time till it quits telling you to check it.
Edited by: John R

·
Registered
101 Posts
Does it say check engine oil or check engine oil pressure?
I park on an incline in my driveway and just about every morning I start up, check engine oil pressure lights up in the message center. AT first I thought it was check engine oil because by the time I saw it, it went out. After a few times I finally started to look for it right away and found it was saying chech engine oil pressure. Now I now it takes a few seconds for the pressure to build up because of the incline I park on.

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
PoolRebel, you might want to park the other way.

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
I have the EXACT same problem ... "Check Oil Level..." stays on for about 20 seconds "after" the truck is started but always goes out. Has done it since new. Have done 3 oil changes, oil is full right on the mark, oil pressure is fine, etc. Thought it might a loose plug where it attaches to oil pan but seems to be tight. bugs the hell out of me but haven't bit the bullet to take to dealer yet. I think I posted a thread on here about 3 months back ... but don't think I ever got much response. No codes set either ...Have checked with Tech II.

On edit, I park in a flat garage, no incline. Does it every time I start the truck, regardless where I'm at.

On edit again, here's my orignal post.

http://dieselplace.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=3342&KW=check+engine+oilEdited by: tophog

·
Registered
101 Posts
Max Power said:
PoolRebel, you might want to park the other way.
Thanks Max I thought the same thing but, unfortunatly I get the same results no matter which way I park

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
New sensor will fix, mine hung after oil change, dealer said common thing.

Geno

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
For my own clarity, the oil level sensor is the one in the side of the oil pan correct? I noticed the wiring is tied into another sensor in the side of the block near the oil filter mount which I assume to be the oil pressure sensor therefore if we're getting the "Check oil level" msg the one in the pan would be the culprit?Edited by: tophog

·
Registered
128 Posts
tophog said:
For my own clarity, the oil level sensor is the one in the side of the oil pan correct? I noticed the wiring is tied into another sensor in the side of the block near the oil filter mount which I assume to be the oil pressure sensor therefore if we're getting the "Check oil level" msg the one in the pan would be the culprit?

The connector is on the oil pan, to get to the sensor you have to remove the lower oil pan..

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
tanner said:
The connector is on the oil pan, to get to the sensor you have to remove the lower oil pan..

Hmm, now that sounds like a catch 22 ... drop oil pan and change sensor, new sensor works, oil pan leaks. Think I'll take my chances with oil pressure light and dipstick.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, theoretically going into the dealer to fix this means a free oil change. I wish it would be a constant thing that I could count on.. it doesn't happen all the time, and the harness isn't tight there either.

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Yes, a free oil change of Dino brand 'X' ...unfortunately I've run Delvac 1 since first change ...I'd probably drain it out once I got home or give them some Delvac 1 so there goes the free oil change incentive for me. Wonder if they have free coffee?

At least there's no questioning my symptoms ... it does it consistenty ... every time it starts.Edited by: tophog

1 - 14 of 14 Posts