Diesel Place banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1. Does the engine crank, or 'turn over'? yes
1a. Does the engine start and run? no
1a1. If the engine does not start - Crack injector line: do you have fuel? very little
1b. Do you have a Wait To Start Light & the amount of time (seconds) lit. yes
1c. Ambient Condition (temperature outside indicate F or C) ____30-40F_ °
1d. Engine Cranking speed (if you have an accurate tachometer).
1e. Are you experiencing stalling? No
1f. If Stalling, describe (upon startup only, down the road, hit a bump etc)
1g. If Stalling, do you notice loss of dash or instruments?
-note if experiencing stalling,you must indicate PMD location in #24.
1.1 Lift pump test - describe results​
2. Service Engine Light while running?- on/off/intermittent yes
2a. Service Engine light does glow during start/cranking/bulb check: yes
3. Model year 98 Chevy 3500, motor is 94-96
3a. Odometer reading (indicate if in miles or km) 150k truck
3b. Miles on major engine components if been replaced (example Injection pump) haven't inj pump heads 3k
3c. Indicate the model number on the Injection pump (starts DS4 or DB2......) not sure
4. Have you scanned for engine codes? (varies by pre/post 96) no
5. List exact results on engine codes:
6. Air Filter condition (visual check) good
7. Fuel filter condition (freshly changed/condition unknown/mileage since changed) good
8. Condition of Battery terminal connections (removed, cleaned and tightened)
8a. Known condition and age of the batteries. less year
8b. Are batteries of differing age or are they a matched set? no
8c. Condition of Major Grounds. (same drill as batt - removed, cleaned, retightened) yes
9. Upon cold start, does the radiator hose get hard quickly? no start
10. Upon cold start, do you have excessive white smoke? Yes
11. Do you have excessive cranking time before the engine starts? sometimes
12. Have you used the block heater, and does this effect engine starting?(only try for starting problems) not sure
13. During hard acceleration, do you have excessive black smoke? no
14. Do you have any unusual exhaust smoke issues? no
15. Turbo check out - not sure
16. Do you have an EGR on the engine? (An F or an S engine code 8th VIN digit) ???
17. Indicate if you know if it’s a 1500, 2500, 2500HD, 3500, 3500HD. 3500hd
18. Indicate fuel that you are using: Bio-diesel, #2 Diesel, #1Diesel, SVO/WVO, other #2
18a. If running a VO (Veggie Oil fuel) setup, indicate details of your conversion (homemade, or packaged system)
19. Are you using any fuel additives? If so, please list. yes tried 2cycle and lucas
20. Please indicate geographic region you are in: (example: Texas or Canada) MD
21. Do you have any service history available that might pertain to the problem you are having? No
22. Please indicate any modifications to the vehicle that might help us diagnose better.
23. Upon unscrewing the fuel cap, do you have a large vacuum formed in the tank?
24. Location of PMD/FSD? On the pump/remoted over intake/remoted out of engine bay (please specify placement specifically) over intake
24a. If remote mounted, describe wiring harness (homemade or purchased from a vendor?)
24b. Indicate the location and condition of the FSD/IP grounding wire. looks good
25. Are ALL glow plugs in proper working order as per this thread? i hear them all click

·
Registered
808 Posts
What is the major compliant?
Having the FSD over the intake is not good out of the gate.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
wont start!! woulr run fine for 2 days then crappy for 3

·
Registered
808 Posts
Did you check each glow plug (the easier ones)? The click would make me think the glow plug controller is operating.

Does the engine have an EGR?
Were there any codes stored?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
im getting scanner tonite, how would i check each indiv plug??? no i dont have an egr( goes in the top of the intake correct?)

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Remove the wire from each plug, one at a time and connect an ohm meter to the prong and ground, the reading should be under 2 ohms. Get that PMD out of the engine bay. I had one on the manifold and it lasted 5000kms in a balmy Canadian winter.
Leo

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Some more info on these questions would help a lot.

1b. Do you have a Wait To Start Light & the amount of time (seconds) lit. yes how long is the light on for?

1.1 Lift pump test - describe results results?

4. Have you scanned for engine codes? (varies by pre/post 96) no need codes

10. Upon cold start, do you have excessive white smoke? Yes
this could be from glow plugs, injectors,...

23. Upon unscrewing the fuel cap, do you have a large vacuum formed in the tank? yes...no?

24. Location of PMD/FSD? On the pump/remoted over intake/remoted out of engine bay (please specify placement specifically) over intake bad place for pmd, anywhere but intake would be better

24b. Indicate the location and condition of the FSD/IP grounding wire. looks good might look good, but I'd remove, clean and re-install it, this is a very important ground wire

25. Are ALL glow plugs in proper working order as per this thread? i hear them all click you'll have to check each one to know, quick test is use 12v test light with ground clip on positive post of battery and touch the spade of the glow plug with test light tip. if it lights, plug should be alright.....if no light, plug usually bad

1 - 7 of 7 Posts