·
Banned
6,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep.... easy to read!

·
Registered
6,504 Posts
I'm not going to clarify how I know that!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Interesting Idiot Light Story: About 35 years ago I bought an NSU Prinz. Most of you guys aren't old enough to know what they are I'm sure. It was a 2 cylinder, 20 hp (don't know torque) motorcycle engine installed in what looked like a shortened and squashed VW Bug.

Anyway, the "Charging Problem" idiot light came on one day. I checked the generator, regulator and battery, and everything was fine. Consequently I just unplugged the light bulb and forgot about it.

Turns out that the pervious owner had put the Charging bulb into the Oil Pressure hole in the dash. Engine siezed up about 50 miles later while I was on freeway at top speed (52mph).

Now you know why they call them Idiot Lights....

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
With the message center that would be pretty difficult to do but then we wouldn't be working on it.

·
Registered
9,300 Posts
Well I dont know if I can top that story but Im sure I was stupid for what I did. I worked at a friends gas station as a kid. One day I was doing an oil change. A pretty girl walked up and asked me a question and I forgot all about filling it back up with oil. Fired the engine up and stared to take it for a test drive. Didnt get very far.......

Man those engine lock right up with no oil. Id like to see one of those late night tv commercials anti-seizing oils fix that.

·
Registered
6,504 Posts
Mine's not that bad: drained the oil, pulled and replaced the filters, began adding the new oil and "What's that dribbling sound?" Forgot to shut off the Fumoto valve! *DOH!* Good thing the drain pan was still under there!

·
Registered
211 Posts
Have you ever seen 12 quarts of fresh 25-50 racing oil running out the garage door and down the driveway? Lesson: Do not consume alcoholic beverages while working on the race car!

·
Registered
19 Posts
A few years ago I had a new Ford F250 Super Duty that I had just bought for the business and was going to do the 1,000 mile oil change on it, my son then 12 wanted to help and since he has been working on trucks, tractors and snowmobiles with me for a couple of years I said go ahead, you know what to do.

He put the drain pan under it and removed the plug, I had not been under one of these new Fords yet at the time, and after about 20 seconds he said "Why is the oil red?". Thats when I found out they had finnally put a drainplug on the trannny's!!

·
Registered
490 Posts
Back in my truck driving days, the boss used to make us come in on weekends and do our own oil changes, brakes, etc. 6 months after starting, the boss upgraded me to a shiney new Mack, with a 300 engine. The new engine had 3 two quart size oil filters versus my old trucks single filter. I slid under the truck with two empty 5 gallon buckets ready to catch the usual 7 gallons of oil. I began to panic as the second 5 gallon pail reached the top. By the time I found bucket #3 it was to late, it was done. The boss saw all the oil on the floor, laughed and said "Sorry, forgot to tell you that new truck takes 15 gallons of oil!!" It is a lot of work to sop up 5 gallons of oil on a shop floor, believe me!
Edited by: Pick

·
Registered
62 Posts
I had a friend in high school that did his own oil change once.....and only once!

He removed the old filter and found out the new filter was the wrong one, so he drove the car to the parts store to get the right filter.

He only made it a couple of blocks though because he forgot to put his old filter back on.

·
Registered
692 Posts
when i was at school we did services on the diesel engins ready to use in engine class my lab partner and changed the old on a cat 3208 he drained and changed the filter i checked the fuel and air filter along with coolant and belts. after he slid out of the truck he said ok. we pulled the out pump over you know the ones like jiffy lube you point and set the amount and walk away. so we did and washed up, only to come back and see
something like 15 gallons of oil on the ground. my lab partner forgot to install the plug.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts