Diesel Place banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since about 1K miles on my truck, the DIC has always read "Check Engine Oil" for about 5-10 seconds after starting the truck and eventually goes extinguishes. Oil level and presssure has always been fine so I haven't been very concern about it and haven't taken it back to the dealer yet.

I don't think it should be on this long after starting? I think I remember it going out within a second or two before.

Anyone else experience this or know what may be wrong?

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
It should say "Change Engine Oil" or "Check Oil Level"
<H5>The IPC illuminates the CHECK OIL LEVEL message in the DIC when the PCM detects a low engine oil level condition. The PCM only monitors the oil level switch signal circuit for a brief period between key on and ignition crank. The IPC receives a class 2 message from the PCM requesting illumination.</H5>

The instrument panel cluster (IPC) illuminates the CHANGE ENGINE OIL message when the powertrain control module (PCM) determines that the engine oil should be changed. The IPC receives a class 2 message from the PCM requesting illumination. Once the oil is changed, perform the engine oil monitor reset procedure in order to clear the Change Engine Oil indicator.

If it's the oil level message there could be a problem with the level sender, or it's circuit, in the oil pan.

To reset the oil change message floor the accelerator 3 times within 5 seconds just after turning the key to run.

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, it's the "CHECK OIL LEVEL" msg. On my 3rd oil change as of last week ... running Baldwin filters and Delvac 1. Msg is still displayed for about 8 seconds after starting.

I'm familiar with the oil change indicator and reset procedure as I had that in my 02 truck as well. This is definetly the oil level warning that's being displayed longer then I would expect it to be displayed. I even checked the plug/connector going into the oil pan ... not unplugged or anything ...looks ok.

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wonder if it's Juice-related? Guess I can find out ...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts