Diesel Place banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't made any big changes to my truck in several weeks. I am running Nicktane Filter, Banks Exhaust, and AFE state 2 intake. Last night was cold so I plugged it in. This morning I started it up and let warm up for 15 minutes. I got in my truck to head for work and my check engine light is on. My truck is running great....I drove it 10 miles to work....drove it home for lunch..etc. All the guages are fine and everything SEEMS ok. Any ideas what I can check??

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
I read back a while that with the block heater pluged in, some sensor throws a code that is false... Like a fuel temp sensor..... Eric would know... I know a lot of people had them... I thought it was fixxed.... Could be the prob... but might not be... If no one answers try to do a search on that or post in the ask dmaxallitech forum....

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks man, at least that gives me something to go on.

PS. I survived NMU too.....12/99

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
Why do you have gauges?

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
The Diognostic Trouble Code talked about before, when using the engine block heater was P0181. Per Helms, this can set when :

1). Fuel Temp and Engine Coolant Temp are more than 18 Deg F of each other at startup.

2). Intake Air Temp less than 10 Deg F after running more than 400 seconds >15 MPH.

There was talk of ECM updates to clear this, but I'm not sure. If you could stop using your block heater for three warmup cycles, the MIL should clear if this was the cause.

I don't have equipment to read codes. I think I saw this once. It cleared after a couple of days, and I haven't seen any MIL's since, even though I use the block heater whenever <32 Deg F.

Could another possiblity be your AFE Stage 2, and Mass Air Flow Codes?

Your best bet would be to find someone to read the codes. Some say places like Auto Zone, and others, read codes for free. I have no experience doing this.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
jgriffin187 said:
Thanks man, at least that gives me something to go on.

PS. I survived NMU too.....12/99

12/98 Did you see that the WoodenNickel got shut down...... Man it sure has changed since i left....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts