Diesel Place banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody have an idea why the imfamous check engine light would come on when I was going down the highway, constant speed of 50 mph, level ground, with the cruise control set?

It was 22 degrees above today, and the engine was above 160 degrees at the time.

I'm running a 2005 LLY with an Edge EZ level 1, otherwise stock, with a new fuel filter, and Stanadnyne perfomance formula in every tank of fuel. (North Dakota Fuel -blended for cold weather) 10,500 miles total.

Called the dealer, and they said don't worry about it, happens frequently. Just get it in sometime to get it scanned.

I'm not really thrilled that I'm getting a check engine light on a new $50k truck. If I wanted a lot of trouble and repairs, I would have bought a Ford.

Up here in North Dakota we need trucks to work correctly in the winter, or you could end up being a popsicle in an expensive metal (bowtie) box.

Any thoughts or help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Chevymax !

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
You need to get the codes read and let us know what they are. There is no real way for us to guess what would be causing this. It's not common.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
You got OnStar? Give them a call and they will tell you why your light is on.

Jim

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Uh Oooooooooo

I really don't like the "it's not common" comment. Has me worried now..................... :eek: -:t:confused: Censored

I don't have onstar on this truck, didn't come with it. Had it on the last truck that I bought, but never used it. Would be nice to have it now to read codes.

Can a person hotwire the OBDII circut, and count the flashes, like you could on the older GM models? Or do I need to invest in a scan tool to keep my sanity? Which scan tool?

Truck still sounds good, with plenty of power, so I wonder if it isn't a situation where the Edge threw a tree hugger code? I hope that's all it is........

I'll be taking it in, probably next saturday, and when I do, I'll post what the codes are.

Thanks.

You need to get the codes read and let us know what they are. There is no real way for us to guess what would be causing this. It's not common.

·
Registered
32 Posts
mine done it and it was from the block heater being used above o degrees and it give the fuel temp senser code just needed reset

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
You can't read codes with the CEL like the OBD I GMs.

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
It's not necessarily anything worry about, but it's not common for a new truck to have a check engine light either. If the truck runs fine, has oil pressure and you don't notice anything acting differently then the isn't too much to worry about.

·
Registered
4,848 Posts
I don't know if our diesel engines can trigger it, but I had a vehicle once that triggered a check engine light and it was only a loose gas cap.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Buy a Scanner.......

You can buy a decent OBDII code reader for about a hundred bucks. Probably a good investment if you are going to do any mods. You'll likely go through a lot of codes. You can also do a search of this site and get the complete list of codes. Somebody posted it here previously. I printed the list out and tucked it into the case with my scanner. Very nice and timesaving to be able to read and clear your own codes! Almost a necessity these days, really......):h

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Truck Got Scanned, --DTC P0181

Well,

I got my truck into the dealer today, after watching the check engine light stay lit for the entire week.

The dealer scanned the truck, and showed a "DTC P0181 " code, described as "Fuel temperature Sensor Performance".

The dealer called into tech support, and they mentioned that this code usually will come on if the sensor detects an issue, and the truck is run above 25 mph within 400 seconds.

Not sure what to make of this......... It was 25 degrees outside, truck plugged in, (truck outside) I had warmed my truck up (astro start) for about 5 minutes, drove over 25mph (actually 40 mph or so) for 2 miles to McDonald’s, waited at the drive through for 5 minutes, drove on a few residential streets, then out on a local highway, setting the cruise at 50 mph (after light acceleration), after 30 seconds the check engine light came on.

(Also running Edge EZ on level 1, 2005 LLY, 10,500 miles, new fuel filter, cold front on, radiator section only)

I've read on DP how folks were having trouble if they plugged their trucks in, and then started them up, where the motor saw temp differences, and set a code.

I now have one of those code recorders set up on the truck, to monitor and record snapshots of what happens on cold startups. Need to run that for a week or so now............

Any thoughts or ideas why this code was set?

On another note, thanks everyone for posting the diagnostic code listing, as well as the link to the GM site where you can check for computer updates via your VIN #.

Had to beat the service manager over the head to get him to flash the surge / fuel filter/ intake pop updates. Told the SM that I was having surging on low rpms, excessive white smoke when cold, popping noise when cold, and couldn't see what life I had left on the fuel filter.

Ended up having to take out the GM Calibration printout for my VIN#, and show him the fixes to these problems, otherwise he wasn't even going to check..............

Thanks again !

Chevy Max! :ro)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts