Diesel Place banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Backed out of the garage this morning and the check engine light came on.
Now it seems to only be running in second or third gear. I shut it off and started it back up and the shift range inhibit came up briefly. any Ideas?
thanks Bob
this is a 2004 duramax lly with the allison tranny. everything is stock. I have not pulled a trailer for quite some time

·
Just Horsing Around
17,558 Posts
Year, make, model? You may want to fill in your signature to make it easier for our members to help you out now, and in the future.

I'll move your post to an engine forum once I have the relevant info - the 911 forum is usually reserved for stranded-away-from-home situations. ;)

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Backed out of the garage this morning and the check engine light came on.
Now it seems to only be running in second or third gear. I shut it off and started it back up and the shift range inhibit came up briefly. any Ideas?
thanks Bob
this is a 2004 duramax lly with the allison tranny. everything is stock. I have not pulled a trailer for quite some time
I think you have a problem with the trany. The TCM (transmission control module), has asked the ECM (engine control module), to lite the check engine light, and the transmission is working with only one gear (limping), likely third. Check the oil level, just over the add mark when hot (175F).

Best to have the codes read. Likely has a P0700 - set CEL code, which is mentioned above. If it does, you will also have other TCM codes that some better code readers will display for you. Then you can start to work on diagnoses of the problem. "Shift range inhibit" is the transmission control module setting about to self preserve the trany. There is a boat load of possible symptoms with different causes, and the code will help nail down the situation.

Let us know all the codes you get. Write them down as you read them, then post here.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Sounds like limp, delete the code and see if it happens again

·
Registered
60 Posts
Hi there, it sounds like it is your NSBU switch which is located on the drivers side on the transmission. I had the same issue last year. It would not engage and I had an engine checl light. If you do a research in the forum DB on the above (NSBU) you will find lots of info.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts