Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a way to find the code without a scan tool?? Truck is all stock except a afe drop in filter that I put in 10,000 miles ago. Truck has 31,000 miles on it and this is the first issue. It is very cold today (it was below 0 and now is 9) and I put on the grill section of the winter cover for the first time. Any help would be great, I did hit onstar and they showed no problems. Need to head to NC in the AM and hoping its not a big deal.

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
If you used the block heater in conjuction with the winter cover that could cause it. It's pretty sensitive to "illogical" readings on fuel, coolant, and intake air temp.

If it's running okay (not going into limp) it's likely fine.

Seems that the serious problems will put the engine into "limp home" mode with a 2000rpm limiter.

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Going to go and get the code pulled in the AM, I have to run a trailer to NC for Monday delivery, so I hope its not a big deal.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Sorry to but in, but mine came on yesterday also. All stock W/ 3200 miles. All dealers are closed for the weekend so i called onstar, they can run some form code check the lady said there were no data sent back too her from the truck indicating a problem. Said It could be that I didnt tighten fuel cap down enough & tank lost pressure but I have my doughts ? Truck seems to run fine & it is around 40 deg. here For a new truck to be doing this it worries me !!
I will take it & have it checked next week.
Dal

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
Loose fuel cap is the most common cause of CEL's on gassers.
As far as I know, it won't cause a code on a Diesel because we do not have an evap system.

The OnStar operator was pulling that out of her hat because it's something she sees all the time.

OnStar really is not worth that much to us... It's good as far as the "safe and sound" thing, but as far as diagnostics and the monthly report, my report that I got today says:

Airbag Okay
ABS Okay
OnStar System Okay

Oil life 44%, no service needed
Miles 17229, no service needed

That's it. Apparently, the gassers get a lot of information. I'd almost like to force an EGR 0401 and see if OnStar can read it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I was running Bio Diesel this fall, a cold snap -10 degrees while I was in Grand Forks, ND area. While I was taking it out on the road to keep up with my daughter, it went into limp mode 65 mph and went down to 35 before foot feed would respond. Getting to Grand Forks, topped off with #1 Diesel and put in 4 oz of antigel. It took about 6-7 miles before I could get out of limp mode. Several days later I was in Brainerd, MN and the engine light came on. I have on star diagnostics. They told me the light was from the fuel system, it was not an emergency so I could drive it until I wanted to go to a dealer.

Three days later the light went out on it's own. The next week I put in a new filter as I am sure some of the biodiesel was waxed in the filter. No more problem after that.

I don't totally rely on the on star diagnostics, but when an engine light comes on it did help me! When I went to a dealer who had no time to get me into the shop, he cleaned (my clean) fuel cap and said I could come in the next day. Travelling back to Grand Forks, I did not go back the dealer in Brainerd, MN.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I'd almost like to force an EGR 0401 and see if OnStar can read it.
'

They can't I always have a silent 401 on my LBZ cause the FS doesn't work... :( and it doesn't show on my report...

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hey Silver Fox,

The best dealer up here to me is Gateway in Fargo. Real good service department and sales. I live 20 miles west of Grand Forks but we drive all
the way to Fargo for that dealer.

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here are the codes...
0116 engine coolant temp circuit range/performance problem
0181 fuel temp sensor a circuit range/performance problem
2199 engine oil temp sensor intermittent
0700 transmission controlsystem malfunction

Cleared them and light did not come back on and all is fine, my guess is the cold weather, and running only the top part of the winter cover may have caused the codes.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Well my light went out today so I dont really know what`s goin on? I pretty much knew onstar was just blowing up smoke. Guess I will watch it for a few days before takeing itback to a dealer !!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Thanks for the info on Fargo. I won't be up in that area for awhile again. Currently working an assignment in Kansas!

20 miles west of G Forks, my daughter lives in Northwood!
Have fun with your 2500!

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
0700 is a trans limp is it not?

·
Registered
172 Posts
Just had my service engine light come on and the truck was in limp mode. Took it to the dealer and they said that the fuel filter was restricted and the code was for reduced fuel rail pressure. I have been running bio diesel in the truck. I don't know, just suprised me with only 8,000 miles on the truck. Check the filter

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have had the check eninge light come on twice on my 06 3500. Caused by using the block heater when the outside temps were above 0.
Dealer says the owners's manual is not specific about the heater's use but it should not be used until it gets to 0 or lower. He told me of two other truck owners with the same indications. One used the block heater, like I had, and the other had used the cover for the grill. Compueter is seeing warm block and cold air fuel mix and it can't accept it.
This also caused my Allison to not up shift.
Dang computers are too sensitive.

·
Registered
46 Posts
It was cold here last week (-14) and i put on my winter cover and used my block heater. It did get above zero over the weekend and I did continue to use the heater and winter cover. Yesterday i got on the frontage road and at 55 I was running 2000rpm. Increased speed and then it shifted. Stopped for a meeting and when i left the check engine light came on and it won't shift into a higer gear until the rpm's hit about 2300. Dealer going to look at it tomorrow, he said he has another one doing the same. Sorry..BTW it's a LBZ. Sounds maybe like the same issue? Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Mine is an LLY. I don't think that will make any difference.

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
700 is a trans code, but it is accompanied by another code from the TCM. It won't happen by itself, and I don't think tuners can read the TCM.

The first two codes are definitely consistent with running the block heater or winter cover when it's really too warm to need them.
Oil temp sensor intermittent... I guess it could throw that as well if it's getting a reading that doesn't seem logical like the first two.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I had 4 codes come up when I ran with the cover and the block heater. The light did not come on until I stopped to get a cup of coffee after 3 hours of driving. The dealer pulled the codes, air temp sensor, coolant temp sensor, fuel temp sensor and transmission module. They couldn't find anything wrong.

The truck did shift at higher rpms when the light was on. I have used the block heater since then and have not had the light come on. I have not tried the cover again.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I had 4 codes come up when I ran with the cover and the block heater. The light did not come on until I stopped to get a cup of coffee after 3 hours of driving. The dealer pulled the codes, air temp sensor, coolant temp sensor, fuel temp sensor and transmission module. They couldn't find anything wrong.

The truck did shift at higher rpms when the light was on. I have used the block heater since then and have not had the light come on. I have not tried the cover again.
Truck went into shop yesterday, same codes. They said 3 other trucks came in with same problem. They said they are contacting factory rep and hoping a fix will be available soon (they admit this is a problem!). For now they said not to use block heater and cover unless it's less than zero.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts