Diesel Place banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I guess I will start off my first post with a problem. I have a 2006 LLY crew cab 4x4 with Alison 6 speed auto. The truck has been outstanding for the first two months that I have owned it. However, over the weekend I got over two feet of snow (which is unusual for California).

Because of the snow I used the Block heater for the first time for about 1 hour. The truck started right up, I let it warm up for about 10 minutes then drove for about 50 miles (into El Cajon - no snow) and shut it down. Eight hours later when I started it up the "Check engine light" came on, and it would not shift higher than 4th gear.
Took it to the dealer and via their Tech II three codes came up (sorry I didn't write them down). The first was fuel temp -40 degrees, the second radiator temp -40 degrees, and the third being "loss of communication between the tranny and main computers". The third code worried me because their computer didn't say how to diagnose the problem, it only said to call so and so GM engineer at so and so number, and my tech said "they usually say that when they know of a problem, but don't know how to fix it yet."
So while waiting for a call back from the engineer, the tech reset the "CEL" and updated my computer with 30 plus updates. Truck runs great for three days, then the same exact symptoms return Censored

, and are verified and cleared by a different Dealership (to get me back home). Has anyone had this problem, can it be caused from not letting the truck warm up enough before shifting into drive, or from the block heater?:help:

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
Yep, there have been numerous people have this happen to them. If you use the block heater and it is not below 0 °F you will set a few codes.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
O.K. Thanks for the info. It dosen't get that cold so I guess I will stop using the block heater then.

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
Forget about that plug. Where you live you will NEVER need it. It is not needed above 0 as stated above. Some don't use it as low as -10 and the truck still fires right up.

·
Registered
13,596 Posts
That seems to be an issue with the newer trucs.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
My LBZ was built in Feb. and I've plugged in a few times with temps from 10 to as high as 25 degrees with no CELs or problems of any kind. Maybe the problem is resolved on the newer 06s. I am using a timer so the block heater kicks on at 3 a.m. and only runs for 3-3.5 hours before I start it. Truck definietly doesn't need the block heater but instant heat is always nice.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts