Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys had a friend tell me about these cheap but decent Windows 8 tablets with touch screens. These have a full size USB port and could be used with the GMTDScan Tech or a GPS receiver. Also they come integrated Bluetooth, and micro HDMI video, basic front and back cameras with a year of Office 365 for cheaper than if you bought it alone!

The basic 7" one is here with a quad core CPU, 1 GB of RAM and 16 GB of storage for $79 WinBook TW700 Tablet - Black 466326 - Micro Center

Another 8" with a quad core CPU, 2 GB of RAM and 32 GB of storage for $129
WinBook TW802 Tablet - Black 503151 - Micro Center

One for the Burb instead of lugging the big laptop!

Review on the TW700 (7") by Leo Laporte https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F21d0kGVBkk

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
This is awesome. Would also work in my race car to hookup to my innovate wideband and MSD ignition

Thanks for the links!

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No prob, let me know how that works out for the race car. Can help too if anything comes up!

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Are you trying to have something like the many OBD2 monitors for the OBD1 system!

·
Registered
846 Posts
Just ordered one last night! Ill let you guys know how it works out with the gmtdscan!

Reactions: quadstar87

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Just ordered one last night! Ill let you guys know how it works out with the gmtdscan!
Did you go with 7" or the larger one? I have GMTD Scan on Windows 8.1 here, so you shouldn't have any issues

·
Super Moderator Eco-Logistical
4,271 Posts
I also got one, bundled it with the 32GB ultra flash sd card, and took the visa card application, and got additional $30 off... after purchase, a SLEW of GM 6.5 stuff came up... I'm guessing a LOT of our members on here are buying these tablets!

Reactions: lovoltage

·
Registered
846 Posts
I went with the 7", I wanted it as compact as possible. Its just for the suburban so all it needs to do is run the gmtdscan!

·
4,271 Posts
are we sure this is REAL windows 8.1? not a tablet edition or something? I mean it does not use an intel or amd processor... it's a strongarm quad core or something...

I'm looking forward to using it... we'll see how it performs.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Watch the link above, guy does a food job of reviewing it. He says its real wimdows!

·
4,271 Posts
Anybody got this tablet running GMTD TECH yet?

·
4,271 Posts
Ok, I have it running. Its a bit tough getting registration key in... I'm close

·
Registered
846 Posts
Sweeet! Still waiting on mine!

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
are we sure this is REAL windows 8.1? not a tablet edition or something? I mean it does not use an intel or amd processor... it's a strongarm quad core or something...

I'm looking forward to using it... we'll see how it performs.

Yes, it is a real Windows 8.1 OS for Intel x86\AMD64 (PC platform) systems. It does not use the ARM CPU architecture found in Android phones and tablets. It contains an Intel BayTrail-T Z3735G 1.33GHz Quad-Core CPU.

Although I can't get one of these, I have been helping friends set these up for all kinds of things. This CPU uses the same architecture as desktops and laptops, and has no problem running GMTDScan or any other 32 or 64 bit basic application you would use on a PC.

Ok, I have it running. Its a bit tough getting registration key in... I'm close
When installing GMTDScan, it is necessary to run the setup as an Administrator. If this is missed, when the registration info is entered, it will not be able to write the .lic file containing the key and activation info.

I will make a quick guide with screen shots on installing GMTDScan as Administrator. Really nice to see all this come together for everyone. :thumb:

Also GMTDScan runs on Windows 10 Technical Preview, so when it is released as a free upgrade for these Winbooks and other PCs later this year, you can make the upgrade too.

If you want a deep dive into the CPU, it is a descendant from the Intel Atom family and it's specs are here at Intel Atom Z3735G - FH8065301685965

·
4,271 Posts
Ok, got tech running, but CANNOT get the interface to connect... I don't have any errors, it just won't the com port connect...

Soooooo close...

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Ok, got tech running, but CANNOT get the interface to connect... I don't have any errors, it just won't the com port connect...

Soooooo close...
Just look to see what port gets added when you plug the cable in. Thats the one you want to use in the settings.

I dont think I had to install drivers, but device manager will let you know if they are missing.

Let us know! Thanks!

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Finding and Configuring COM Ports (Windows)

Soooooo close...
Plug the adapter into the computer, then open the Device Manager (Start > Computer > Manage > Device Manager).

In the Device Manager note the Ports (COM & LPT) and click to expand
Your adapter should be displayed with its COM port number

In GMTDScan go to Tools > Settings at the bottom. The Settings menu will be displayed.

Choose the COM port number from the drop down menu, matching the number in the Device Manager

Click on Apply then Ok. Exit GMTDScan by closing it completely

Reopen GMTDScan and connect to the truck....

Attachments

·
Whistle Pigs Are Cool
2,460 Posts
1 - 20 of 69 Posts