Diesel Place banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I drive a 2004 LB7 Duramax Chevy Ext Long Box 4x4 and I was looking for advice on getting a few more inches for not alot of money. Any suggestions???

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
green keys. usually about 50 bucks on the popular online auction site. give ya about 1-2 inches for the front.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
if your wanting 1-2" look into cranking your torsion bars and getting either longer shocks or shock extensioners. if your wanting 2-3" looking to green keys with longer shocks or extensioners and for a better ride get the cognito upper control arms.

·
Premium Member
416 Posts
Might surprise yourself and get 3" w/ stock keys...all trucks apparantly vary from the factory...some guys only get an inch or so...

I got 3" (12 full turns) with stock keys...got a good ride with the cognito upper control arms and shock extensions. Didnt need keys....

·
Registered
289 Posts
I got 3 inches with stock keys too. Ran out of room with my upper arms which means keys can't do any more anyway. costs = $0

I used washers under the bottom bracket and on the top of the shock to increase shock length 1 inch. My shocks no longer limit downward travel. Cost ~$2

I have destroyed my ball joints, pitman arm, and possibly wheel bearings Cost = $Cognito and some parts from $GM.

it was good while it lasted.

·
Premium Member
416 Posts
Caswell: Cognito upper control arms will solve the ball joint issue. Cognito pitman/idler arm kit will help the Pitman arm (and idler). Combined cost of the two...$650.

Not sure about wheel bearing...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is cranking the torsion bars something I can do myself without a garage and a wide array of tools?

·
Registered
923 Posts
Yes but you will want an alignment done after.

·
Registered
289 Posts
mr_udy;1575410; said:
Caswell: Cognito upper control arms will solve the ball joint issue. Cognito pitman/idler arm kit will help the Pitman arm (and idler). Combined cost of the two...$650.

Not sure about wheel bearing...

Roger That! I ordered them last week. Been putting it off for over a year.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Shaw15;1575561; said:
Is cranking the torsion bars something I can do myself without a garage and a wide array of tools?
A jack, and a socket with long bar. (oh yes, and an allignment...)

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Crank bars with a long bar and an 18mm socket. Make sure pressure is off the front suspension and you're good to go. I have seen anywhere from 1.5" to a little over 3" just by cranking with the stock keys.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks everyone!!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts