Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey just to let ya know there is a company called flying j (us company go figure) in canada that sells diesel for cheap. they operate out of shell card lock sites and have many locations. in alberta it is $0.77/litre in calgary and airdrie and $0.74 in edmonton. it is good quality shell fuel and is $.10-$.15 cheaper than most places. it was this price even when it was a buck a litre elsewhere. just to let you know at calgary barlow and in red deer it seems to only give $50 at a time when using card lock with a visa or mastercard but in airdrie it will give me $600 no problem. they have a location on 72 ave in calgary where you can pay inside during business hours and get as much as you need. i also use dsg 4plus fuel treatment in every tank, with noticable results in power smoothness and milage. they have a location in red deer, but is also available in calgary (they swear buy it). im thinking of buying a 03 gmc 2500hd ext cab 4x4 sle duramax 150,000 km for $23,000 seems like a good deal any input is apreciated

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
We have a J an Winnipeg and are seeing the same thing .10 - .15c a liter cheaper then anywhere else.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I will be looking for them today. :)

·
Registered
91 Posts
they got one at the shell in nisku too.
It's rig fuel I think though...

·
Registered
969 Posts
it took ya that long to figure out the J is cheaper then most stations? better get a J card to boot, makes life easier also

·
Registered
884 Posts
Wish we had one in South-central BC. Paid $0.99 a litre last time I filled up.

·
Registered
171 Posts
CanadianDiesel;1589751; said:
it took ya that long to figure out the J is cheaper then most stations? better get a J card to boot, makes life easier also

What a 'J card' ?

There is one in High Level as well. On my last trip diesel was cheaper in High Level at the Shell (Flying J) than most stations in Edmonton......

·
Registered
969 Posts
the J card is like a credit card you use that for fuel purchases, and also when you hit certain "markers" you get free fuel.

·
Been Around A Few Motors.
276 Posts
Flying Hook (J)

They are only a reseller for Shell. In Canada. Your shell access card (Cardlock) is based on whatever price you negotiate with them.
Flying j retail fuel is always cheaper than even Hughes or Race Trac.

In the US Flying J has their own refinery in Utah. Ogden or Brigham City I believe.

·
Premium Member
3,773 Posts
OK..You all have definitely got my attention..!! Wow.

I live in Calgary, am in sales S. Ab., and once on the road full time with my unit ( within 2 weeks), will be doing 55,000km + annually. That price means coin in my pockets especially being able to buy at .10 - .15 below retail..!!

Are there any conditions, memberships or whatever..?? Or do you simply drive up and filler up..?? Can one use his VISA..or do you need to have their "J" card.?

$23,000 seems like a good deal any input is apreciated
Seems to be a pretty good price to me. I saw one similar for sale on e-bay for 25k CAD, it was a 03 CCSB Loaded LT. I don't think it sold either with 167,000k on it.

And I thought I got a deal.! 06LBZ $ 40,015 (GST Incl.) w/ 57,000 km. @ Shaw no less.

Rgds,

Theo (T-ayo)

·
276 Posts
Flying J

The J card people are talking about is one they give to us truck drivers. It gives you points and every 3 months or so you get coupons in the mail for buying stuff in the store, CB's and the like.

But anyone can fuel on the retail side. It's just the 2 or 3 pumps that are cardlock you have to have a Shell card or whatever flavor it is they are selling.

For us, we fuel at Petro Pass cause we get our fuel for 59.9 per liter.
Thats a huge saving for us/me.

·
Registered
112 Posts
For us, we fuel at Petro Pass cause we get our fuel for 59.9 per liter.
Thats a huge saving for us/me.[/quote]

How do you pull those rates ?????? I/we have a commercial (fleet) petro-pass account and don't believe I/we get anywhere NEAR that rate.

Last time I paid that was when I had an UFA fuel card & "occasionally" we ran farm fuel.:evillol:

·
276 Posts
Petro Pass

How many trucks do you run and how much fuel do you burn. Thats where you can make deals with Suppliers like Petro CAn and Husky and Esso and shell.
WE carry all 4 cards in the trucks and we usually use Petro Can or Co Op

Our fuel bills usually run around the 15-18K a month area.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Holy S**T - hate to be paying that !!!

We run 3-4 trucks and about 2K a month.

Probably not high enough to get better rate .... what do you think ?

·
Premium Member
3,773 Posts
Just cruised Flying J in Airdrie this AM:

$ .834 / Litre if my old worn out neurons can remember correctly.

Still, I'll take a $ .06/L lower price than retail anytime thank you. Given my territory is S. Ab and once in a while up to edm / nisku & med hat..their locations are just right.!

rgds,

Theo

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
59.9/L wow i need to find out where to get diesel for that help me out bro. i usually spend about 5k per month that would put 1200 directly back in my pocket. oh by the way you can get a frequent fueler card in locations with stores (calgary 72 ave se) which gives 1 cent discount per litre. they also have applications for tcl card (credit card) which makes life easier (mastercard and visa only give you $50 at a time in a few locations (calgary 23 ave ne) .also i have been using dsg fuel additive (canadian company) seems to be working well (better milage, quieter,extra power) they have a location in red deer it costs $180- $200 for 10 litres and treats 5000 gal. they also carry all four on headlight booster kits great upgrade for those long night drives on the highway

·
276 Posts
Fuel

Between the Bed Truck (1300L) to fill. Tri Drive 1000 L to fill. Planetary Truck 1400 L to fill. My pick up.90 L and my slip tank 400 L And the Van (Ferd Windstar). You can see why my fuel bills are so high. The only time they slow down is during spring break up for 6 weeks. Maybe not this year. Going to start hauling shacks from Anchorage AK to Ft Mac.

You can negotiate with your supplier, you just gotta buy the stealer enough lunches and Swag to get them to play ball.

·
276 Posts
Be careful about the TCH credit cards. They have a higher interest rate and depending on the company you have to pay weekly. Our Esso KTH card have to be paid every monday. Invoice comes out on Friday via email and payment is due by end of business Monday.
We looked at TCH (green Cards?) and they wanted like 10k in the account at all times. Depending on if you wanted cash advances available on the cards as well.
For us Comdata was the way to go for that kinda stuff.

diesel sho;1655341; said:
59.9/L wow i need to find out where to get diesel for that help me out bro. i usually spend about 5k per month that would put 1200 directly back in my pocket. oh by the way you can get a frequent fueler card in locations with stores (calgary 72 ave se) which gives 1 cent discount per litre. they also have applications for tcl card (credit card) which makes life easier (mastercard and visa only give you $50 at a time in a few locations (calgary 23 ave ne) .also i have been using dsg fuel additive (canadian company) seems to be working well (better milage, quieter,extra power) they have a location in red deer it costs $180- $200 for 10 litres and treats 5000 gal. they also carry all four on headlight booster kits great upgrade for those long night drives on the highway

·
Premium Member
3,773 Posts
Ok...update on pricing from Caglary.

The "J" on 114th AVe SE is .02 Litre cheaper than the "J" on 72nd Ave...as per the attendant. wish I had known that prior to filling up.!

I paid 84.2 yesterday.. Still much cheaper than ESSO retail at 94.9

BTW: Anyone looking for an Aluminum ToolBox (over the rails)...Costco has some real nice ones for the unreal low price of 279.00 ea. I checked out Raven Truck Accessories and anything like it is at least in 900.00 + range. Diamond Checker plate Aluminum Tig welded to boot. 1/8" matl thickness. Lockable from both sides / can open from both sides. Upper sliding tray. Pretty nice units.

for what it's worth.

Theo
Rgds,

Theo

1 - 20 of 28 Posts