Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
6,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Information provided by JohnnyO:

Make sure you lubed all 11 grease points. Particularly the two Idler arms and the Pittman arm they are hard to see and harder to get the grease fitting on. The Pitman arm is high and in cramped space and it also has the AC hose in the way. I am going to get a 90 degree fitting for the next time. The first time I lubed, I found that the factory had hardly put any grease in most of the fittings. There was a lot on the outside though... They must have not gotten the fitting on right when they greased it.

The 11 fittings:

2 - Upper ball joints

2 - Lower ball joints

2 - Outer tie rod ends

2 - Inner tie rod ends

2 - Idler arm (one on top and one on the ball joint)

1 - Pittman arm

It is easy to miss the Pitman arm and the two on the idler arm assemblies. Their tucked up high and hard to see.

Edited by: Diesel Power

·
Registered
165 Posts
Hoot,

I have often found that the factory mysteriously missed getting the grease in the right places. I therefore lube the vehicle the first weekend I have it. I also have replaced many straight zerk fittings with elbows, they help a lot.

Bob

·
Registered
217 Posts
You got that right Bob! I just did my first greast job on my 03 and a couple of them took quite a bit of grease. I am kinda bummed that I waited until 5000 miles, but oh well, whats done is done.

John

·
Registered
819 Posts
Change your diff fluid and check it's level too. Watch the smell.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
I installed 90 degree fittings on the idler/pitman arms at the first greasing. My 99 was the same way. A 18" hose on the grease gun helps also. GM might not even grease any of them. That should be done by the vendors. Later! Frank

·
Banned
6,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No they are not but in the event you need to replace them, here is the article on greasablee joints...

U Joints

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
I grease my truck when I rotate the tires. With the front tires off, five zerks near each front wheel hub are within easy reach and site. The Pittman Arm Zerk is the only one you have to crawl under the truck to get to.

See more info and pictures at:

http://www.gm-trucks.com/IAR_zerks.shtml

·
Registered
101 Posts
How do you get to the lower ball joint grease zerks without taking everything thing apart? I can't even get my finger between the zerk and the axle! Do you have to take the axle cover off?

·
Banned
6,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
PoolRebel said:
How do you get to the lower ball joint grease zerks without taking everything thing apart? I can't even get my finger between the zerk and the axle! Do you have to take the axle cover off?
Jay I have no trouble getting a grease gun nozzle on mine. I think they face rearward. You may just need to turn the wheels some for easier access.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Thanks Hoot, I had the wheel turned in both dirctions and it looked like a strait zerk on the bottom. Hopefully it is a 90 facing backward and I just missed it because of all the crud I couldn't clean off. I'll check into that next time the ground is dry

Bring on the snow!!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
If you have an air compressor, an air powered grease gun makes things much easier. You can hold the hose on the grease zerk with one hand and shoot grease with the other. I bought my grease gun at Harbor Freight. I'm sure they are available elsewhere. I think I paid around $12.00. It probably wouldn't hold up for heavy, frequent use, but mine has worked for about 2 years now with no problem.

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
The idler arm is the one I had problems getting to, fitting on the bottom - took quite a while and many choice words to get grease in that puppy! Turn wheels this way and that, what a pain! That needs a different direction fitting to be sure!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am getting ready to grease my 04 for the first time and was wondering if a synthetic grease was needed of regular grease and how much grease to put in. I have heard to much will blow the seals. I will be using a regular hand pumping grease gun.

·
Banned
6,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I use synthetic. It doesn't seem to lose it's properties like some of that cheap stuff seems to do.

I also use a hand gun. Three pumps on the small fittings and about 8 on the idler arm. The idler you can pump till it squirts out the bottom of the fitting. I agree with geno. I got rid of my long handle guns and only use the pistol grip type. Edited by: hoot

·
Registered
463 Posts
Is there a certain type of grease that is recommended for our trucks, or will any automotive synthetic be acceptable?

Kevin

·
Registered
126 Posts
what about the slip yoke ??? no zerk fitting ???

LeathermanEdited by: Leatherman

·
Registered
152 Posts
I also was interested in an air powered grease guns. I have the long handle type which usually has grease squeazing out from around the zerk. Would an air type work better?

·
Registered
713 Posts
I used to have that problem, then the Farmer/Cop I was Farming for, berated me unmercilessly
to "Pump the Handle, HOLD the Gun!".

Once I discovered the pistol grip grease gun, I never looked back!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts