Diesel Place banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have 1200 miles on my new 2004 D/A. I changed the oil at 750 miles and I am going to change it again at 1500. From there it will be again at 5000 miles and then every 5000 miles. I have used Delo but want to change to Schaeffer 7000. Since this oil is a synthetic blend should I wait until 10000 miles like you would, if going to a full synthetic.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
You will be good to go at 5K no problem. Just wondering why you would go with a blend when you can get a full synthetic for the same money?

Greg

·
Registered
6,995 Posts
Eric, do u think the motor is broken in enough at 5k?

I usually wait for 10k on vehicles or 250-300 hours on construction equipment.

duchntr before u change the oil get the truck to normal temp and check the rpm at idle, then about 50 miles after the change to 7000 see what the idle speed is.

U will see an increase in idle speed because of the moly reducing friction.

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
Tim, hard to say. I had about 12k on my truck before I 'discovered' Schaeffers. I know that most go to Delvac at about that miles.. I guess it boils down to personal choice

10k would be a good time too

·
Registered
6,995 Posts
My Schaeffer rep told me to be sure it is broken in (rings seated) because the moly will basiclly stop them from any more seating.

Delvac doesn't have moly or does it?

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
I would why they are using moly. Its a high pressure aditive thats found in grease and gear lube.

I think anytime after 3K is good to go. After all Vipers and Vets vome from the factory with synthetic in them.

Greg

·
Registered
29 Posts
I think you are changing your oil way too early at 750 miles. A little friction is actually good for the engine at that point from a break-in perspective....

I am going to wait until 5k for my first change then start on Delo 400 every 5-6k.

I did the Diff's at 3k and they were pretty clean. I went to Amsoil Synthetic 75-90 front and rear.....

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
You can never change your oil to much ir to early. On a new engine I like to do at least 3 changes in the first 3000 miles. One at 500 again at 1500 and then 3000. You need to get the dirt out of the motor. No matter how clean the plant is during assmbly you just can't get all the dirt out. I worked in and engine manufacturing plant for 11 years so I know what goes on.

Greg

·
Registered
29 Posts
3 times in 3000 miles??? That is counterproductive IMHO. You need a lot of heat early in the engine life to seat the rings. Changing the oil decreases friction, which decreases heat. The oil filter should remove the majority of harmful contaminants in any case....

But it is your truck, so do as you see fit.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
It will build up enough heat without having all that dirt in there. Yes the filter will get the big particles of dirt. But what about the small stuff under 20 micron? Thats the stuff that hurts bearings. The larger stuff can't get in them anyway. I know that I am not in the minority when it comes to this method of break in.

Greg

·
Registered
6,995 Posts
"I would why they are using moly."

??????

Schaeffers uses moly in all their lube and oil and grease.

Helps reduce friction which can't hurt.

I've had an increase in idle speed on everything I've put their oil in.

A couple of months ago I change over to Schaeffers 7000 in my Deere SSL (300hrs), now it sounds like it's running 1/4 throttle at idle.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
You have to remember that most, if not all, modern engines come with chrome molly rings. They are pre-lapped which makes them perfectly round to match the new cylinder and need almost zero break in time. The days of cast iron rings and using a quart of oil every 500 miles during the first few thousand miles is ancient history. I also change my oil on new outfits a couple times in the first 3K. I do it for the same reason John does. I have built a few performance engines over the years and it is real hard to keep them perfectly clean. You are not going to see an RPM increase with any oil you put in. The computer controls the RPM on the Duramax even when in gear. Later! Frank Edited by: Frank Blum

·
Registered
6,995 Posts
Frank and Eric, if the computer adjust fuel delivery for idle will the tech 2 show how much it is delivering at idle?

If it does show fuel flow or psi, check it first w/ warm motor then change oil and run truck an hour or so after putting in the 7000 and see what the difference is.

Eric it would be a good sales tool if u can do it.

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
Tim, I doubt it would really show up that much. Even heavy performance mods barely show up with scanner at idle.

We were going to do a dyno challange with it here last fall, but the dyno broke so we didnt. Run a truck, get a good baseline, then change axle/engine fluids to schaeffers and run again, with out taking it off dyno... Maybe next time

1 - 15 of 15 Posts