Diesel Place banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, figure I'd change out both the nicktane pre-OEM (10K) and the OEM (15K) fuel filters. Any tips with regard to the process for changing them and re-priming? I've done the OEM before several times - no problem. But should I not do both filters at the same time? Should I sequence them (do one first - prime and then do the other, re-prime) so I dont have to get both filters primed at the same time? Seems like that tall filter will hold a lot of air and would require a long time to fill up. Any one do this yet? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
If you did the install the way Nick describes ,start truck till it stalls prime system ,then you primed them both almost the first time ... I say almost because the media was wet in the OEM ....

Somebody I forget who,said he filled the Nicktane and didn't have to prime nuttin ....

I think it's totally up to you and your patience to pump the primer .... So any way would be acceptable as there is no wrong way ...

Mac

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
I have also read guys pre filling the CAT filter ONLY!!!!! NOT THE OEM FILTER!!! This has given some good results, in fact I also read that Nick is going to change the instalation instructions to reflect this.

Prime the OEM filter the same way you have in the past.

Prefilling the CAT filter in my eyes is OK bcause the OEM filter will catch any(slight chance) contaminante that might get into the CAT filter.

Guys will argue what I just posted and that is fine. So, it is up to what you want to do in the end. Good luck.
Edited by: NoWake200

·
Registered
414 Posts
That would sure beat the 140+ pumps to prime the CAT filter...

Thanks,

Tim

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
luvthesmellofdiesel said:
That would sure beat the 140+ pumps to prime the CAT filter...

Thanks,

Tim

WOW .....

Mine must be tight .... Ten pumps I had foam ,but when I ran it dry I had a air pocket between the OEM and Pump as we had a NO start condition ...

Easy fix, just close bleeder and pump primer till firm ... Of course we scratched head for a minute or two, so you guys can skip that step,if you want ....

Mac

·
Registered
174 Posts
When I installed my Cat filter, I pre-filled the Cat filter knowing the OEM filter would continue to do it's job (yes there is some humor in hoping the OEM is doing its job!).

Howsomever, In my humble opinion, pre-filling the Cat is the way to go. After The Cat filter install & pre-fill, I started the truck (with no pumping/priming) & let it set at idle for about 15 min with no issues. Turned it off & since then I have about 12K miles with no start or run problems.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts