Diesel Place banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How big of a deal is it to change the harmonic balancer?? How long should it take and any advice is appreciated?!

·
Ronald Reagan fan
5,129 Posts
It won't take long to do.Not long at all.You can access it by going under the truck and flipping up the plastic guard under the radiator support.Remove the serpentine belt and outer front crankshaft pulley.Get yourself a quality harmonic balancer puller and it'll come right off.Check your outer pulley for any problems.Those too are known to fail.

·
Just Horsing Around
17,552 Posts
Make SURE to use the correct puller/installer. Torque carefully using a quality torque wrench. Do NOT use the HB bolt to reinstall the balancer on the snout.

Not a difficult job at all as long as you do it properly and have the correct tools.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I did mine last weekend. Put a Fluid Damper on. It made a huge difference. The truck runs much smoother and accelerates quicker especially above 2000 RPM. Easy job for sure. I used a quality HB install tool.

·
Registered
61 Posts
What is your 'preferred' way to hold the engine from rotating when breaking the bolts loose and when tightening?

·
6.5TD Post Addict
9,886 Posts
I use a flywheel holding tool.
I have 2 different styles,1 with a long handle that catches ring gear teeth that hare some distance from each other and another kent moore tool that uses a ratchet and engages close together teeth.

Normally an impact gun works well for bolt removal,the tool is used for assembly.

·
Just Horsing Around
17,552 Posts
That's cool, I had the impression that this was a 10 hour plus job for those of us who aren't very experienced mechanics..
I think it took me 30 minutes the first time I did it, and that was just in my driveway with just a piece of carpet to lay on.

Not a big deal at all, really. I think the hardest part was getting it torqued up fully...damn, that bolt goes on tight. ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.