Diesel Place banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How to change a fuel filter on a 2006 Duamax 6.6.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Has anyone changed the fuel filter on an LBZ yet? I was looking at one on a Dealer lot, & it looks like the AC lines have been relocated, & I'm not sure you can actually change the ff the way that Eric describes in the above link. Anyone know for sure?

·
Registered
59 Posts
use a belt (strap)wrench and ratchet. quick -n- ezy.dont have to mess with ac lines

·
Registered
511 Posts
Changes the same way as befor.
Good deal. I didn't like the thought of having to remove the fender liner to change the fuel filter.

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
It's not a big deal.

It's a good idea to pull the liner the first time you do it so you can see everything and see where you need to unplug the WIF harness.

The liner comes out easily.

·
Registered
468 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Can the fasteners be reused or should replacements be on hand to re-install with?
I'm going to buy a handful. I did mine and resused all of them. One is a little losse but I wasn't careful when I took that one out.

How much can they cost at the dealer??? A buck or two each? :lol:

·
Registered
754 Posts
Why would you pull the liner when it fits right through the lines without even moving them? Takes less than 15 min. to change. Have already changed mine twice, no big deal.

·
Registered
3,464 Posts
i remove my liner everytime i do it. the little clips have held up, but i ruined the bigger fastener the first time i took it out. did an aluminum rivet-nut to the metal flange it was on and have a 1/4' bolt and large washer on it now.

·
Registered
550 Posts
I took the air intake tube off and that really helps and there is only two screws that hold it on. This gives you alot more room to work. Use the strap wrench that helps! Took about 15-20 min. Longer if first time but its getting easier!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
108 Posts
You also can pull the battery and it gives all the room you need

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
http://www.gmdieseltech.com/store2/cart.php?target=product&action=view&product_id=16237&category_id=248
$6 for a 10-pack from Eric.

I have a pack handy, but only in case one rolls under the truck and I can't find it or if one gets trashed taking it out.

Yes, the filter easily comes out through the lines from the top... I just like to recommend removing the liner at least once while the truck is fairly new, if only to become more familiar with how things go togther and come apart.

You'll also "discover" your block heater when you pull the liner :)

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Its all personal preference. I myself pull the liner, I find it easy to do and it makes it easier to get to the filter and see what I'm doing. I'm not in any hurry so its all about what works best for you.......Eric (in my sig) sell the liner clips by the bag if you go that route. I've reused most times but once in a while you replace one.....Bill

I don't like spilling but some of the guys who don't pull the liner put a bag around the filter while they take it out the top....I havn't tried it but sounds like a good idea

1 - 17 of 17 Posts