Diesel Place banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How often do you change the fuel filter? Mine has about 5000 miles and says the fuel filter has about 60% left. Should I change it before my upcoming 2500 mile trip? Is it the same filter as the 2005's?

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
i would change it before your trip just to be on the safe side so yu dont have any problems when you hit the road. i think they came out with a new bigger one

·
Registered
294 Posts
My dealer told me to change it every 15000 unless I get a bad dose of fuel. Your call your truck do what makes ya happy.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I've always changed my fuel filter every 5000mi or before a long trip, changed the oil every 2500 to 3000 miles, tranny fluid every 10,000 miles and diff fluids every 10,000 miles. Still waiting for "The silver Fox" to be dealer delivered. Never have had a problem.

Truck on!!!:cool:

·
Registered
471 Posts
Pofarmboy, your dealer has his head planted where the sun doesn't shine. These filters are problems after around 9K miles, if you don't believe it, cut one apart at different points and look at it. They're done in under 10K every time. I know fuel quality plays a big part but U.S. fuel is of very poor quality.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Changed mine around 14,000 DIC said 10% left. No problems at all, still pulled like a tank. I believe the manual also calls for 15,000 mile changes. Check it.

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
Even though they have different recommended intervals, I like to consolidate as much as I can. Fuel, oil, and Allison spin-on at the same time. I don't trust the fuel or Allison to go for two oil change intervals (15-18k), and using synthetic, I don't see the need to cut my oil change interval to 5k.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
I've always changed my fuel filter every 5000mi or before a long trip, changed the oil every 2500 to 3000 miles, tranny fluid every 10,000 miles and diff fluids every 10,000 miles. Still waiting for "The silver Fox" to be dealer delivered. Never have had a problem.

Truck on!!!:cool:
you must go threw a lot of oil trans and diffs every 10,000 miles that seems really premature and a waste of money and 2500-3000 miles for oil that is not that long either

·
Registered
511 Posts
How often do you change the fuel filter? Mine has about 5000 miles and says the fuel filter has about 60% left. Should I change it before my upcoming 2500 mile trip?
I changed my fuel filter for the first time at 10k miles & cut it open to see how bad it was. It was only about half used up, but I got a good idea of how long I could go between changes. Why don't you go ahead & change it now. Cut open the old filter with a hacksaw, or better yet, get a filter cutter. You'll get a general idea of how long you can go between changes. Just don't push it too far, & don't forget to keep a spare fuel filter in the truck in case you get a bad load of fuel somewhere, especially on the 2500 mile trip you'll be taking.

·
Registered
500 Posts
You might want to consider getting it changed. I was talking to my SM this morning and mentioned that the last couple or three times I got on it to get on the freeway, it bogged for a second or so and then accelerated. I told him there was 5450 miles on it and he said mine might need a filter change. He just changed one on another DMax at 4320. I'm not certain mine was a fuel filter, but it was a noticeable bog down.

·
Registered
11,953 Posts
Alwasy cary a spare with you. I would run it till it hits 100% but sometimes you get a load of fuel with some chunks in it and it will clog it QUICK.

·
Registered
355 Posts
you must go threw a lot of oil trans and diffs every 10,000 miles that seems really premature and a waste of money and 2500-3000 miles for oil that is not that long either
that's what I was thinking. my last work 1 ton had 299k miles on it changed the rear end once @ 200k trans. about every 50k & oil 4-5k. when I turned the truck in @ 299k it still ran fine, a little weak but still ran fine. how many can say that about a 93 454ci.

·
Registered
751 Posts
You might want to consider getting it changed. I was talking to my SM this morning and mentioned that the last couple or three times I got on it to get on the freeway, it bogged for a second or so and then accelerated. I told him there was 5450 miles on it and he said mine might need a filter change. He just changed one on another DMax at 4320. I'm not certain mine was a fuel filter, but it was a noticeable bog down.
For the prices the stealer is getting for the filter & labor, they will almost always recomend a change. Check their price then go where you can buy it for around $35. & 20 mins of your time,change your own when it needs it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Looks like the dieselplace doesn't like the ********** ...

hence the ******** for the link I just posted ...

the**********.com/reviews/jkfuelpressure.htm

·
Registered
500 Posts
Are you saying it is "the" "diesel" "page" "dot" "com"?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Yep ...Thanks ...

"the" "diesel" "page" "dot" "com" /reviews/jkfuelpressure.htm

and check out the gauge from Kennedy Diesel

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.