Diesel Place banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is a plastic plug on inside of doors behind door handles, can you access handle there or do door panels have to come off?

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
to remove the pannels just take the screw out and lift up and out and you have them off

·
Registered
142 Posts
to remove the pannels just take the screw out and lift up and out and you have them off
It's easy, but not that easy. if you follow the above link, you will be able to remove and replace them with no damage.

·
Registered
368 Posts
There is a plastic plug on inside of doors behind door handles, can you access handle there or do door panels have to come off?
The instructions from the link aren't the greatest IMO. Also, do you have a '03 or older truck or '04 and newer truck? Because the removal is slightly different. If you wanted I can get you a detailed procedure on how to take the panel off an '04 or newer truck. I'd rather do a write-up then have you break something and get screwed with insanely overpriced parts from GM.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Also, the door handles are held on by 3 nuts from the inside of the door panel, as well as the clips that attach the rod (one or two depending on door) to the handle using a clip. Oh, and make sure your window is up...:eek::

·
Registered
142 Posts
The instructions from the link aren't the greatest IMO. Also, do you have a '03 or older truck or '04 and newer truck? Because the removal is slightly different. If you wanted I can get you a detailed procedure on how to take the panel off an '04 or newer truck. I'd rather do a write-up then have you break something and get screwed with insanely overpriced parts from GM.
No, they are not all they could be. Best I could find.

Also on the rear door panels watch out for the screw at the bottom front corner of the panel.

To get to the top bolt on the front door handles you can drop the glass about 1" from full up and get between the glass and the regulator mechanism.

On the drivers door lock barrel there is a tiny o-ring that must be moved from the old handle to the new one.
Good luck.

·
Registered
285 Posts

·
Registered
4,140 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
To get to the top bolt on the front door handles you can drop the glass about 1" from full up and get between the glass and the regulator mechanism.
This should have said that when you drop the glass about 1" you can see through the glass above the regulator to get to the top nut on the handles.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts