Diesel Place banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We changed the rear differential fluids at about 2000 miles but we have not towed anything yet. We are looking to take two trips this summer the first being a short 4 day jaunt and the second being 2 weeks, both pulling a trailer. Should we again change the differential fluids after we do the first tow trip to remove any more breakin junk or should that have already been taken care of with the first change?

Took the truck out in the rain and snow this weekend and drove on dirt roads empty. It handled well and it made a fun trip. We can hardly wait for this summer.

Thanks the the help.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Just about any break-in crap has now been removed. So long as some of those 2000 miles were on the highway, which will heat up the gears, I don't think you'll need to change the fluid again until 50K (if your really into maintenance like I am, if not then you can probably take it to 100K).

·
Banned
6,541 Posts
I agree with Jim.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi All. Well I have 2572 miles on the New Truck,(2004 Chevy 2500HD). I decided to change the Oil in the rear end..Guess what! two quarts came out..I added 3 3/4 quarts of Mobil 1 synthetic. I called the Dealer

I have to call back Monday.. Is it normal they short fill the rear end? I love my truck.. Do I trust GM Dealers maint..The Jury is still out on that one.. If You really love your truck,learn to check stuff

Yourself

·
Registered
326 Posts
marsguy said:
Is it normal they short fill the rear end?
It sure seems to be, because yours is not the first post I've seen where someone said the same thing. It's almost like GM has reverted back to the 70's mentality, where they left "stuff" for the dealer to do instead of just handling it properly during the manufacturing stage.

But realistically, the dealer prep should have caught that, provided they bothered to check the level of course (which they should have).

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I changed the fluids in both the front and rear differentials quite some time ago (at about 2000 mile mark) and replaced with Mobil 1. Both were well below the "finger tip check line". I am guessing about a quart a piece.

oh well, its good now and I feel better for it

·
Registered
361 Posts
when I initially changed mine at 2k the rear axle only had 2 quarts in it from the factory. I am going to change all the fluids again this week at 15k. Then at 50k and 100k. Cheap insurance.

·
Registered
257 Posts
How easy is it to change the rear end gear fluid? Sadly, I didn't know "S" about my truck when I got it and simply followed the manual's service proceedures--took it easy the first 4~5 hundred miles, got it up to 90 once or twice in that range, but mostly drove it on city streets here in vegas during summer. Didn't tow until the truck had about 15k on it, then towed at about 50~60 mph for about 150 miles, then at around 70 for another 150 (tow weight under 6k lbs). Before the tow I had the 15k service done where they "check and fill" the front and rear end, but it was not "replaced" as far as I know.

Now I've got a good 500 of towing and I'm starting to become more aware of my rig, so the big question is: do I drain and replace the fluid in the rear diff and how easy is it? Also, is there any way for me to tell whether (or how badly) I screwed something up by driving the rig as indicated above.

thanks!

·
Registered
361 Posts
Probably the easiest thing you could do on your truck. There is a drain plug on the bottom of the differential. Fill plug on the top rear. drain and refill with 4 qts of the appropriate gear lube. I use Mobil 1 Synthetic 75-90. About $7 per quart. Gm makes the " Grape Juice " about $15 per quart if you can find some one to ship it to you. It's probably a LOT more $$$ at the stealer. Others are using the Mobil 1 70-140 ( ?) synthetic at around $13 per quart. Dont for get the front Diff as well. A little more difficult but not exactly any thing most would not be able to do. If you have skid plates you will have to remove the front one. 4 bolts, easy stuff. Front diff takes 2 quarts. Whether or not you can use synthetic in the front depends on the year of your truck.

·
Registered
162 Posts
It is not all that difficult as stated above. Using Mobil 1, Amsoil, or another synthetic is the way to go. Doing it yourself will save you a lot of money over what the dealer would charge you to change the front and rear diff fluids...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts