Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a secret to changing the batteries out. This weekend it got cool and the stock batteries in the 03 are having a hard time now. Want to change them out but wasn't sure wheteher to disconnect borth at the same time or one at a time. What is the best way??

·
Registered
924 Posts
If it were me id unhook the passengar battery first which is your secondary i believe.Just my opinion.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Just use normal battery sense , diconnect grounds first , other than than that makes no difference .

·
Registered
176 Posts
Definitely the grounds first. Then, be patient getting them out. You may have to pull the passenget side one out at an angle. You can put the factory battery sock back on them if you like, but not necessary. Good luck, takes about 30-40 minutes.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info. Was concerned that if both were out at the sametime, would loose information in computer completely.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
6_wheeler;1573825; said:
Thanks for the info. Was concerned that if both were out at the sametime, would loose information in computer completely.
There is a electrical tool that you can plug a 9 volt battery to, then install in the cigarette or power port and it suppose to maintain a little charge in the system for the computer. Got mine at Meijers in Cincinnati. Will try soon as my Delco's are going south....

·
Registered
201 Posts
Just do one at a time, and insulate terminals so you don't cause a short. Then you won't loose computer, radio settings,clock,etc. Wrap positive terminal in a rag, remove one battery, install those cables on that battey, then do the other the same way. Object is to not let positive cable touch any metal part of the truck.

·
Registered
861 Posts
wow you guys are way to careful. i just do one at a time let the terminals hit what ever and not put to much thought into. the change out should take you no more than 5 min.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Mike Mac;1584061; said:
Just do one at a time, and insulate terminals so you don't cause a short. Then you won't loose computer, radio settings,clock,etc. Wrap positive terminal in a rag, remove one battery, install those cables on that battey, then do the other the same way. Object is to not let positive cable touch any metal part of the truck.
x2, better safe than out $$$$

DEWFPO

·
Registered
115 Posts
just replaced both of mine. one at a time, no loss of memories. very easy. i also put a battery spray protectant on the termanals first.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Thats interesting that you would do all that to change the batteries!! Guess i never new that it mattered.. I always just change the batteries without worrying what happens to the cables...Isn't real hard!! Never had any problems yet

·
Registered
344 Posts
windowbarn;1588888; said:
Thats interesting that you would do all that to change the batteries!! Guess i never new that it mattered.. I always just change the batteries without worrying what happens to the cables...Isn't real hard!! Never had any problems yet
Your are one lucky guy. Just let the positive post from either battery bump anything grounded while loose and then you will know what a real spark looks like. And, possibly do some damage to the electronics. I do agree that you can change the batteries one at a time while keeping the other connected but would really be careful to keep the positive cable insulated.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Cleve;1589090; said:
Your are one lucky guy. Just let the positive post from either battery bump anything grounded while loose and then you will know what a real spark looks like. And, possibly do some damage to the electronics. I do agree that you can change the batteries one at a time while keeping the other connected but would really be careful to keep the positive cable insulated.
Okay...good to know that :)

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
What batteries did you install? I plan to use Optima batteries when the time comes.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Replaced them. Sure made a difference...it doesn't GROAN now when starting....LOL

I put the yellow maxxis at Wally World...3 yr free replacement and guarantee for 9 years pro rated.

Thanks for all your help..

·
Registered
115 Posts
DEKA batteries $80. each. made in USA bought at the last western auto in my area.

·
Registered
44 Posts
6_wheeler;1590843; said:
I put the yellow maxxis at Wally World...3 yr free replacement and guarantee for 9 years pro rated...
I did the same thing. I used in the larger 1N size instead of the 78's, since they had a bit higher CCA rating - they fit fine, they are just a slight bit taller. Even if they die at 3 years+a day I'm ahead of the game for the price.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I put in DEKA batteries. I forget what they are called, but they are AGM technology in a square format. Rated the same as Optima yellow tops. Nice thing is, they are drop in replacements - no messing with hold down brackets.

Just put them in in Dec, but so far I am happy with them. Noticably faster spinning during starting than the OEMs. I guess I'll know if a few years how much I really like them.

·
Registered
919 Posts
You wont lose anything from the computer by removing both at the same time. I just did some welding on my exhaust a few days ago, of course, disconnected both batteries before hand. Hooked everything back up and even the radio presets stayed.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts